Sunday, March 29, 2009

On This Earth Hour Day

28th March
8.30 - 9.30 pm - lights off



The girls told me we have to follow the world's appeal - lights off for an hour. So we had a candlelight dinner. Candles of various colours, sizes and shapes accompanied us for the evening. Sometimes it's good to practise team work especially when the girls were so excited about the movement. So we decided to conform for a good cause.



Fearing the lights off phenomenon might disturb our dinner, we decided to take a further step - barbecued our food. Grace was the mastermind and got her fingers and hands burnt in her venture to make sure we had food on the table.



The children took their turns in barbecuing marsh mellows after dinner proper. Try it. You will be surprised how good it tastes.


On this earth hour day, I received many gifts.



A tiramisu from Sara. Notice the chocolate sticks encircling the master piece. We counted and it was 2 short of the years...only 52.



Papa finally read and met my heart's desire - a Tag Heuer- of the right colour.



Of all the gifts, I was most flattered by this bouquet of roses. Roses depict love; love from my friends in school. I love the roses and the hue fitted as a glove on the table cloth. So very flattering as though the flowers were plucked off the table cloth.



Another look at the roses. Oh so lovely...so lovely. Thank you dear friends, they meant a lot to me.



And this is a very special year. My girls are with me. Back from their studies and around for some time , I treasure the minutes and hours they surround me. I know next year, Grace will be in Singapore and Esther and Sara may leave me for studies. So, I savor in every moment with gratitude and joy. They remind me of God's goodness every moment.


On another note, to a dear friend, coincidentally named Rose, Happy Birthday.
We share the same day of birth and you are special.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your special day. It was so obviously a very precious time, not just with your family but tied in with the rest of the world too.

Two weeks ago I too had one! It was a wonderful celebration which went on from 11 to 11 - with some coming for coffee or lunch, or a drink or a 'hog roast'. Perhaps that is a strangely British or even rural British, way of roasting meat.

One of the younger guests, phoned next day to tell me it was the best day of her life, ever.

It was pretty good for me too, as I reflect on the goodness of God, the sustaining of His love and that of Christian friends from around the world. Not least among those, are you and your delightful family. How wonderful it would have been if you had been here to share it with me, but miles are expensive, in carbon, time and cash, to travel.

Once many years ago, someone said to me: "We'll always be united in prayer." My prayer is that one day it won’t just be by prayer but that the miles might be covered again.

Puan Chong said...

Hi Hi

What a plesant surprise! Indeed the miles are nothing when we remember one another.
Happy belated birthday to you too.I am sure you must have had a wonderful one with BJ and the family around you.
Bob sends his love and apologies for keeping so quiet.In actual fact, he's being kept busy by his work schedule. Again it's a poor excuse.
When are you coming across again? It will be good to see you and BJ again.
If plans go as scheduled, Sara will be going to Reading next year end. Then there may be a chance we see one another again.
Indeed the Lord has kept the family together and He is good. Time sure flies and Grace will be serving in Singapore in one of the public hospitals next month. Now she's a big girl; no more that litte girl you put on your lap the last time you came in the 80s.
May the good Lord continue to sustain you and BJ and have a meaningful Easter this season.