Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Do you know ?

Robert Browning Hamilton


I walked a mile with Pleasure;
She chatted all the way;
but left me none the wiser
For all she had to say.



I walked a mile with Sorrow,

And ne'er a word said she;

But, oh ! The things I learned from her,
when sorrows walked with me.


After dinner last evening I asked both my nephews if they understood the stanzas ; one of them replied " does it mean we cannot enjoy pleasure? "

I told them you learn more from the school of hard knocks.

On a visit to a dear friend yesterday who is still grieving over her loss she told me this:

When you have lost a parent, you lose the past
When you have lost a spouse, you lose the present,
When you have lost a child, you lose a dream.

Food for thought when you are on holidays with no one climbing on your back ; except yourself.

2 comments:

lee ying chong said...

Come visit me

Puan Chong said...

Need to see the old folks first...