Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Childbirth



Right outside my room in school stood a familiar face. Where have I seen her? My old memory actually failed me at that juncture. Can I see the Principal? She enquired. Sure , but she's not in at the moment. Can you wait a while?


Then a call came in. A call from Down Under.

Ma! What is it like to give birth to a baby? I have just watched a video clip on childbirth! Ma...I am supposed to help deliver babies this friday from 10 pm to 6 am! Ma , tell me , tell me what is it like?


Then...it all came back. That's dear Pn Sang! She used to tutor this daughter of mine in Add Maths back in those good old days. Hi...are you...? Oh , Now I (we) remember...oh yes, oh yes...How is Grace?


Then the call came again...here you talk to your teacher. Hi, Pn Sang, Joachim told me you have moved to Shanghai....

For a few minutes they exchanged a short conversation. I was glad that call brought teacher and student together again at the most unexpected time and place. But once you are a teacher, you are forever someone's teacher. A touching moment especially when the teacher went all goo ga ga, delighted to hear from her protegee.


Now back to serious business. Childbirth.


Here girl...I am no expert in the field of childbirth but I can give you a few tips through my experience with the process.

When in labour,

1 the pain gets intensified after the first few pangs (within 2 hours?)

2. do not push unnecessarily

3. each time when that pain comes, relax your muscles and do not push yet

4. when the ultimate excruciating pangs come (the feeling is like not able to pass motion when
down with food poisoning) then it's time for the magic moment...push at the first instruction
of the doc...and there the baby is out (sometimes I wonder how male gynaes ever understood)

Don't worry about the baby's head being big or small or whether the labour pain is more intensive than the pushing out process cos the mother is just as confused about the intensity of pain. Everything and everywhere is PAIN. Never mind about what kind of pain.


The post natal blues are worst. Even more painful...everywhere painful. Post natal blues will be another episode. So, husbands love your wives. You will never ever know that PAIN. Your wives give you children ...treasure them for the labour of love.


Childbirth... birth pangs... God's great plans thwarted by Eve.


No comments: