Tuesday, February 17, 2009

When East Meets West

It's been quite a while. Quite frankly, I've yet to get used to the girls being home. After a couple of years of their absence, suddenly I need to accommodate and change accordingly. Well, things change, feelings differ, opinions clash and the volume of noise increases.

So also taste buds change.

No 1 : Mum, I wanna cook tonite.
Mum : No. The soup has already been prepared. Next time.
No 1 : Mum...it's always Chinese food. I wanna cook western.
Mum : Ok, tomorrow.

So, this is when east meets west.



How about mama's typical mamak maggie mee? It's 4 packets of curry flavoured maggie mee with some cabbage, prawns, 2 eggs and red chillies. I am not bragging when I say it does taste like the one you go to Melur for. Ask my girls. Typically local though.


Now, the western version.



No. 1's beef stroganoff ! It's beef (topside), large onion, sour cream, beef stock, mushrooms and pasta. Tastes really good. So when dinner is served...what does one go for first? The eastern one or the western one?

There's competition in the home now! They say new brooms sweep clean. Of course the dash is for the stroganoff. Now I really know I can come home late with a sumptuous meal on the table.


Mum : Now, the mamak mee costs...RM4.00...and the beef stroganoff?

No.1 : Hm...beef is RM17.00, sour cream is Rm6.50, mushroom is Rm7.00, the stock is RM5.00, onion, pasta.....about RM40.00 altogether.

Mum : Oh Ok...even if I choose to add some meat to the mamak mee...maybe it will come up to Rm8.00...all the same a meal too....

No.1, No.2, No.3 : Mum!!!!!!!! you are just...

Garrett : Hahaha...aunty your house is so noisy.

Mum : What about the boys in your house?

Garrett : We are quiet at home aunty...not so much noise.

Noise. It's ok. That's why they are girls...very expressive and loud. Now, I have to change for them or I will be very out- dated and not understood by them. That will be a pity. When they were young and docile, they listened to me. But now, I have got to learn to listen...to them.

That is life?

No comments: