Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Reason To Go On ?

They made my day.

In came a smart looking guy who had a warm smile on his lips.
"You must remember me Puan Chong ; surely you haven't forgotten me?" He sure looked familiar but what's the name already ? which year? I hated myself then for letting his name slip my memory. But tried I did... I still could not remember... his face was someone I could not believe could have transformed so much. There is this calm and matured countenance on his face that is strange for his age; when I learnt of his identity later.



Though I could not remember his name, I remembered showing him this photo when I counselled him before. A sensitive and troubled child then, the discipline board of the school had a hard time with him . Unlike what many may associate with discipline, Puan Ung was a sure hit with him ... never giving up and always wearing the best hat for him. He cheekily sent his appreciation and regards to us his teachers with a special mention for Ung.
Why the photo above?
Looking through Sara's baby photos one day, I realised that the chap was a kindergarten comrade of hers. At my wits' end and trying my utmost tricks , I brought the photo to school and ushered him to my room to look at it . " Where's the boy who looked so sweet and obedient?...why are you trying so many monkey acts in school ? Hmm?" He briefly told me tales of a broken spirit and a sense of loss of purpose and direction in life but we continued to find reasons to keep him in school and give him hope. I am glad we did it though it was difficult.





Today at 20, both are doing their bit for society. Fazir is good looking, polite, and oozes a degree of maturity beyond his age. He is the man behind the Ritz Carlton chain in town, in charge of sales and occupancy. He told me the YTL group of company trained him up in the hospitality branch and he is enjoying every moment there. The culture, philosophy and ethos behind the company have changed his perspective of life and he loves life for what it is today. I had to blink my eyes several times as I unashamedly complimented him on his aura and good looks. Actually I was so pleased beyond words to see him grow up so well.
I pray and hope he will continue to be sustained in great aspirations to do the best for himself.
So very proud of him. Told him many times I have reason to go on as a teacher and he replied never to give up on them. He kept repeating his thanks and appreciation for the school.

Incidentally, today I also witnessed a touching moment in school. In all my years as a teacher I have never encounterd this situation. I heard a cry in the next room, " teacher, please don't throw me out of school...teacher, please..." I found out later he has been away from school for too long and a notice was sent out earlier to remind him of his long absence.

I have spoken to this boy on a previous occasion...troubled-filled and displaced. His act of humility...kneeling in front of the teacher broke my heart. Flat on his face with both kness on the floor, it was a posture that would have moved even the coldest soul on earth.

I ushered him to a seat to hear him talk. Problems...but who doesn't have ? We will help him again...again and again. He must give us reason to go on.

We will help him .

His sincere act of humility is reason enough for me to plead and fight for him.

Both boys made my day.

2 comments:

adrian_isiah said...

Dear Pn.Chong,

I am sitting in my hotel room on a weekend nite doing nothing but catching up on msn with ex-seafieldian school memebers...and all of a sudden one of them mentioned, Pn.Chong has a Blog...i was like.."WHAT"??? This i got to see ;p

And true enough, u really do have a Blog and amazed how modern and versatile you are...but come to think of it..it was your versatility that brought huge changes to SMK Seafield... =)

I always remember there is 2 side to you..one the serious disciplinary teacher who walks ard and ppl will avoid u...

The second side of you is the playful yet cheeky down to earth teacher...i remember once u thaught my class when i was in form 3 (1997)and u said "Why not have a gala at our school and everyone can dress up like those ppl in Greese movie" ;p

True enough, during my graduation from seafield in 1999..u helped organized one of the first ever official farewell party for parting form 5 students.... =)

Thank you Pn.Chong...you are really a symbol of a Great Teacher~!!!

Adrian Ng @ Class of 1999

Puan Chong said...

Thank you ... you have also made my day. Are you married?