Monday, September 15, 2008

I Remember

My Dear Cheow Hui,

Today, 16th September, a year ago, you left us.

We went to school together in our younger days and though we were not from the same batch, the church brought us together. You were a faithful and helpful friend. Your patience and unassuming ways taught me what the fruits of the spirit in Galatians 5:22..."But the fruits of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self - control" ... really meant.


Our Alma Mater


I remember the times we would congregate at good old Tanjung in Muar where we shared our deepest feelings and thoughts of life. We also went to the then one and only public swimming pool and swam weekly.



Muar Tanjung


I remember praying together with you for your life partner...and the prayer answered when you became Mrs. Mark Anderson.







The Lord blessed you and Mark with 2 beautiful children -Jesse and Heidi- the envy of many.



I also remember the beautiful cards you would post me - Christmas, Birthdays, Good Greetings and I still keep most of them in my album. Though in Osaka, I seem to be always remembered by you. Thank you.


Then came the dreaded big C. But I saw how you fought for so many years cos you told me that you wanted to see your children grow just a while more. I remember the last time you stayed with me...2005 and told me everyday you would say to your children...mama loves you. Over the phone I heard you telling them..."mama ai ni ". You said you were afraid your numbered days would not allow you much longer.


The last ride to KLIA saw you scribbling your last address and at the waiting lounge, you told me that you envied people who could walk normally cos by then the dreaded C had attacked your bones and the limp was taking its toil on you. I wept as I hugged you - for the last time. You could never make another trip home again.

Many sent love and gifts to you cos though you were far away our hearts were with you. Friends dropped by to cook and look after you because you were such a good friend to others.

Despite your frail body, I still received this last card from you- dated 1 June 2007- in your frail handwriting wishing the best for my family and the three girls. You used to dearly call Esther ...siow huang chi...the little yellow chick cos she never seemed to put on weight. Then you would push her around in her pram around the playgrounds of SS15 in the evenings. You loved them as your own...and they lovingly called you Aunty Cheow Hui. Fond memories of you still stay with them.



The Last Card


Now Jesse and Heidi have grown up too and are so beautiful.


The Lord has blessed you.


But God has chosen to take you home for a more beautiful place...streets of gold...and in the presence of Him...perfect rest...no pain.


Rest my dearest friend.


When peace like a river

Attendeth my way

When sorrows like sea billows roll

Whatever my lot

Thou hast taught me to say

It is well,

It is well with my soul

It is well

With my soul

It is well

It is well

With my soul


Mrs. Mark Anderson

nee

Cheam Cheow Hui

6th October 1952 - 16th September 2007

No comments: