Saturday, September 13, 2008

A Wild Goose Chase

I received a directive last week to attend a workshop on the Buddy Support System and the use of English in Science and Maths (PPSMI) in schools. In the directive, I was told to report at the following place:

Hotel Seri Malaysia
Bagan Lalang, Sepang

Oh...it's only Sepang. KLIA...hmm...can't be too difficult. It must be somewhere there, near the famous Empress Hotel, the usual meeting haunt for government officers. So, confidently, I left home at 4pm and in the twinkling of an eye, I should reach the place by 4.45pm...I mean how far away could it be? I tried looking for the place in google earlier on but the directions were not very precise. But it must just be there!

So playing the famous disney music in the car, I drove on trying to pick brain waves as I reflected on issues in life.

To my dismay after 40 minutes of driving, there was no sign of the place. So, I opened my mouth and asked. They said go to Sepang town. Ok to Sepang town. When in Sepang, I still could not trace it. Then they said go to Sungai Pelek. Sungai Pelek? Now this sounded strange and it was already 5.15pm. Ok to Sungai Pelek I drove. Finally, Sungai Pelek...what a relief! But woe it was to me for to my consternation, I still could'nt see the place. Humbling myself again...I hoped to ask for the last time. This mechanic told me go to Bagan Lalang and I should see it. So I drove on again. Then I saw the great sign board...Hotel Seri Malaysia...turn right.

But, the narrow lane never seemed to end...was I on the right track? Have I missed it again?

For the very, very very last time I told myself...ask. So this Indian man on the motorbike told me "tak tahu"...and pointed to me...maybe there ... maybe there. Agony.

Well, they say when you are caught between the devil and the deep blue sea, you just had to go head on. Just drove on and on...but of course I finally found it.

Happy. Very happy. Learnt many places today.

So I checked in and dinner was the next agenda. At such meetings you are bound to meet some familiar faces and the talks never ended until it was time for the night briefing.


Then came the bomb shell.


"You are at the wrong venue" so the organisers told the Selangor Cohort.

" What? But the letter says Hotel Seri Malaysia! "

"Oh, you all should be at Morib - Hotel Impian."

"Oh dear, where on earth is that now?" That was 10pm.


So, after a restless evening figuring where that place could be, I woke up at 6am and got ready for the next venture.

To Pantai Morib and Hotel Impian.

I left Bagan Lalang for Tanjung Sepat which reminded me of the famous movie "Sepet" (I think) and after 40 minutes of pleasant drive, I finally arrived at this place:




Well, you learn best when you are caught in moments like that. Though quite furious over the wild goose chase, Hotel Impian was a great place to convene and rest. It is along the beach and about a few hundred metres down you will see the famous Morib Beach.



A lovely sunset view just beside the hotel



It is at places like this that you reflect best- that's why we were there - to reflect on PPSMI



This is the famous evening get away for people in love - the locals told me



The next most very important issue - should we continue with PPSMI?

Apparently, the government has been trying to get consensus from all quarters right from NGOs, to educationists, and the 3rd round table talk will be held on 19September when selected teachers and students will view their points and feelings.
Should we use English? Do we need to teach content through English? Why do we need English when the Germans and others have been able to handle without it? What are the pros and cons?
Another wild goose chase too? But the rest of the world - Thailand, Korea, Japan -are looking at us...if PPSMI works well here, they are following suit...?
There were simply too many issues to talk about but there was a definite yea from the cohort that convened here that we should go on. But as has been said, a final decision can only be made after the final 4th round table talk to be held later -maybe after the UPSR results - the first batch to have completed the cycle in learning Science and Maths in English for 6 years.


The Cohort at the Workshop


Let's hope for the best for Malaysia, our beloved homeland.

6 comments:

gracielau said...

sepet ma, sepEt..

ѕнικє said...

Puan Chong, why don't you share with us a little bit of your childhood days? Maybe you can throw in a few things which we teenagers can relate to. Talk of the old times never fail to stir some thought about how fortunate we are compared to our parents in terms of comfort.

Puan Chong said...

Thanks girl...sepet
Shike : hmm...childhood. will share when the reflections come...definitely will.

Yeoh Ee Ping said...

Puan Chong, you are truly a very very patient lady!
I totally salute you.
I think I would've just turned back home if I was put in such a situation. :)

Puan Chong said...

Young Lady. Patience.A virtue to see u through in life...so learn it.

Yeoh Ee Ping said...

Yes ma'am!
Noted.
Will apply it to my eveyrday life. :)

Thank you Puan Chong!

P.S
I still really do miss Seafield!
A whole lot..