Sunday, January 18, 2009

My Visitor

I am glad to see him again. It is always a good feeling to have your past protege dropping in to say hi and bye.

Last Thursday while seeing to some needs of new teachers in the conference room, a knock drew my attention to the caller. "Someone to see you Maam..."said the office girl, " he says he's your ex-student." Curious, I replied, "I'll be right there."

Dr. Melvyn : Hi Puan Chong.
Me : Hei, you are half your usual size. Wassup?
Dr. Melvyn : Work...36 hours every other day.
Me : You gotta be kidding!
Dr. Melvyn : I have been on my toes for the last two months and this is the first break and that is cos I need to be here to see my mama in the hospital. She 's got her gall bladder removed. And it's only for 3 short days and I've to be back by Saturday. Oh what a life! Is Grace here or in Australia? Tell her to stay there.
Me : Hmm...but she's always on the watch your weight kinda of programme so being here will do her fine!
Dr. Melvyn : Oh...how I hate working life. I wanna go back to my studies.
Me : You mean, you rather sit for exams after exams and being stressed out?
Dr. Melvyn : Aya...exams' nothing la. You study and then regurgitate out ...that's all!
Me : So for those who are so keen to come out and work...you've got a different story for them?
Dr.Melvyn : Teacher, I wanna be a teacher. It's so nice to be in school and teach...I can teach Anatomy, Biology ...anything except being in the hospital ! Everyday I work for I don't know how many hours and before I can close my eyes for a good rest I have to open them again. I trudge to my work place at 5.30am , go round my 28 patients, get their blood tests done , dutifully prepare my reports and then to be 'kantoi' occasionally by my seniors...aya I need rest!
Me : Hei, take it easy. Soon you will be super senior and things won't be too bad.
Dr.Melvyn : I can't see that before my eyes now... Hei teacher, I gotto go. I am glad I managed to drop by cos I don't when is the next time I can see you again. Maybe I can get Alan, Kuan Ming, Caryn and the gang to come see you during Chinese New Year?
Me : Please do.
Dr. Melvyn : Bye
Me : Bye and thanks for the goodies. It's so thoughtful of you. Really, there isn't any need...
Dr. Melvyn : But I want to...I haven't got my first pay cheque but soon.

Melvyn. SPM 1997? or is it 1998? I remember him being in 5 Cekap...other friends include Chun Hau, Elvyn, Clarence, Siew Ling, Wei Ching, Ezanee...they must be doing fine...I hope.
Melvyn related that Seafield churned out 18 doctors in his batch...including Praveen who is serving in Sarawak now.


And he gave me these goodies...it's really not the gift. It's the thought...he being so busy and making a point to drop by to convey good wishes. In the card he kept saying it's Seafield that gave him the foundation to a career and future. Well he may sound 'old fashioned' to some but that's what makes him different..and a good difference.

All the best , Melvyn. God Bless.

No comments: