Sunday, January 31, 2010

A Living Skill

Sewing

In my days when we were teenagers, girls usually went for some form of formal learning in dress-making during school breaks. Mothers used to insist that their daughters enrol for a short course clearly to help them manage their home affairs in the future.
Modern girls of this era do not enrol for such courses anymore. Why learn to sew? Just go to Topshop, Miss Selfridge and they would be able to get anything. Why bother to sew?
I don't know if I want to agree with them because I believe all girls should have some basic sewing skills to really help them manage their homes well.

Take for example this privilege I had this afternoon. I am not wrong to say that tailors will not take in any more new orders as the Lunar Celebration is just round the corner. However I had a need. I wanted a particular colour skirt to go with a new samfu top and it was almost impossible to get that shade anywhere. So I gave myself a treat by discarding all duties and resorted to sewing a long skirt for myself.

I took out the old-fashioned sewing machine and embarked on my long -lost hobby - sewing.




It was not so smooth sailing as I had to remember the basic cut again. But it did not take long before good memory took the better hold and eureka... I recalled well.


I had the iron beside the machine and did not try to take any short cut. I pressed the seams step by step and I know the best looking articles can only be done with pressing. A well-pressed piece will look neat and good to the eye and the final product will be worth all the effort.



Putting the zip.


The final touches when you start to hem.



The final product ! Instant gratification! I can get to wear it tomorrow after a couple of hours of work. Not too bad ?

The sewing bug is contagious. When you start to sew ; you actually long to indulge further. After all there is this cotton housecoat that I have been wanting to have but hadn't the time to sew and my Penang sister's order is a long one ; if I propose.

The point is when you age and your body shape is not what it used to be, it is indeed good to possess the sewing ability when nothing off the peg fits!
Also, you may land somewhere overseas and it will be handy to sew that button, table cloth, patching that hole in the pocket and the list is never ending.

But who cares about such skills these days? Who listens to such advice these days?
But I tell you. It is a great skill to possess because it makes you self sufficient and if you allow your imagination to run, you can create the impossible.

I may consider sewing for a living when I retire...hehehe
Sewing - A Living Skill

10 comments:

Pam Song said...

I sew!!! Hahaha.

In fact, I was sewing last weekend and this one. =p Am using my grandma's old sewing machine. Must use hand and turn turn turn wan. Haha.

Puan Chong said...

Good candidate for a wife! Sew some more and someday you will be indispensable to your family ! Encourage the Der sisters to do also la.

Pam Song said...

Haha. I'm planning to take sewing lessons when I'm back in Penang. Probably weekend or night classes. Haha. My mom says that one of her regrets is not letting me go for them when I was taking a break between my Diploma and my Degree. Haha. Oh well. Not too late now! =)

And I dunno how to get them to want to sew lah, Aunty Poh. One is addicted to cheap online shopping, one is addicted to expensive Topshop, another one is in Singapore so I can't reach her. Haha.

Puan Chong said...

Ka ka ka ka ka...

lee ying chong said...

I'm still waiting for my pjs...

Puan Chong said...

wait ah wait...maybe Pam Song can sew for u la.

Pam Song said...

Wah! Sew pajamas? Whoaaa. I never sewed anything complicated before wor. Haha. Can try lah. But need to go for lessons first. =p

estherlauderlyn said...

hmph since you dont want to teach me. I YOUTUBE and learn my self. I ask aunty to help me carry the sewing machine first!

estherlauderlyn said...

ayi lee, I make PJs for you k! :D

lee ying chong said...

Hi Lyn,

Sure bo?