Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Lord Is My Shepherd

Appreciating Robert Lam, a loving husband and a doting father.
4th April 1946 - 23rd January 2010



It broke my heart when I saw you gasping for breath last Thursday but you were calmed as I spoke Psalm 23 to you. Forgive me for I could not recite the Psalm in its full glory as I blundered in broken lines. So, my dear brother-in-law, here's Psalm 23 in its full wonder dedicated to you.


The Lord is my shepherd, I shall
not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green
pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousnss
for his names's sake.
Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow
of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and love will
follow me
all the days of my life,
and I willl dwell in the house of the
Lord
forever.
Amen.
Friday saw you in good spirits and thank you for giving us a chance to be in your company for the 2 hours. You displayed the cheeky side of you when you told me that my top was a little old- fashioned and that I needed to discard it for a newer one. You told Esther to stay simple and be loving and you further reiterated to Ling to be simple in life. You kept repeating that you had led a simple life and a meaningful life ; dedicating the last years to the service of God.
You had us in stitches when after signing a cheque you scribbled "Praise the Lord" on top of it.
Surely the Lord's favour is upon you.
Thank you for bothering to pick up the phone to wish the family a good Christmas though you were unwell. Thank you for the gentleness and caring spirit. Throughout your ordeal, you complained little and put up with all the discomfort in quiet acceptance. You told me in one of the conversations that you have asked the Lord to give you 5 - 10 years more.
But God has deemed you fit to go home ; you the favoured one of God.
Rest...my dear brother.
The Lord Is My Shepherd.

No comments: