Saturday, May 22, 2010

The Singpetra Princes

I call them Princes...in the eyes of Jesus.

Today I 'm gonna sound very old because I am going to be irrelevant to the younger generation.

Albeit being educated in an English Medium School, I take a particular liking to Mandarin as I have a strong association with the language ; close to Singapore and surrounded by a Chinese speaking community in good old Muar town. On top of everything else, the language was attractive cos it brought me news about movie stars of the 60s, 70s, 80s...Ivy Ling Por, Lin Dai, Ker Lan, Lin Ching Hsia, Chin Han, Ching Hsiang Lin, Chen Chen and on and on...see I sound pretty irrelevant right? However much I may want to forget them, I can't.

So, when I heard about the Singpetra Mission and how the Good News was brought to the public through Chinese Oldies, I could not tear myself away from them.
I first heard them in PJEFC and I thought it would be a real shame when I did not bring my father to hear them out...to hear their great testimony about Jesus.





Pastor Chang Han Lin and his protegee Lei Chen Hsiung has a singing mission. Blessed with strong vocals and a love for oldies , they perform endlessly for the cause of Jesus bringing good news particularly to the older generation but where God's mission is concerned they can also be very relevant to the needy... to ones who need the touch of encouragement and hope for eternal life at some point of life.





Pastor Han Lin has a story to tell. A truth which never fails to draw lives into eternity. Coming from a Chinese speaking home and having a father who is down to earth and never believes in things of the soul, it was a challenge for the pastor to convince his dad of God's salvation plan. Often quoted ;

" If you want me to believe in Jesus, show me how to get money ; no money, no Jesus..."

It is so true, isn't it? Where the Chinese are concerned, it's more often then not about the story of physical survival. Relationships do not play a big part. So when you tell of the love of God, it's almost meaningless to them...death and eternity? Where's the relevance to these hard survivors? They exist to accumulate wealth for security.

But God works in strange ways...He responds to prayers in the most unexpected times and ways.

Pastor Han Lin though the eldest was a scorn to the home when he accepted Jesus as Lord and Saviour at the tender age of 12. To the consternation of his father, he was considered the prodigal son; of no use when the dad dies...no son to send him off. So when the younger brother came along, fresh hope came to the family. The best love, time and attention was on the younger boy. If he had wanted the stars, his dad would have gotten for him but not long after, such thoughtless gestures of love soon brought disaster to the home...addiction , drunkenness and the haunt of Ah Longs. Han Lin's dad may have the monetary resources to elevate the son's plight but for how long? The pastor challenged his dad to accept a relationship with Christ to put right the wrong doings of the family ... when you are reduced to nothing, then in your humble state the reality of God is shown. Does it mean everything is turned right with the magic wand? Someone once says " Relationships just can't change overnight...it needs to be worked at"...that's why Christ is called the Counsellor, Healer, Prince of peace, Comforter...situations and circumstances that were once beyond hope can once again by the grace of God be made right as once passes through the teaching and redemptive work of Jesus. Reap you must for what you sowed but the promise of His presence is there and it makes the going easier.
Han Lin's dad and mum submitted to the will of God...for by grace they were saved not by works alone... and the redeeming work began in the house. "Jesus loves you"... a reassurance repeatedly spoken and affirmed by the pastor.



A testimony so strong that it evoked the inner spirit of man and on that night last Sunday in PJEFC, I was moved once again by the simple working of the spirit...14 souls came forward to acknowledge the sovereignty of Christ in their lives.

Was the narration a story or a statement? Kong Kong asked me this question in May 2008 when I brought him to their concert in UCSI then...and my reply was " That pastor did not lie"..it's the truth. On an evening then when things were quiet and seem so simple a message, my dad stood up for his salvation ... a wait of 33 years. That's why I am eternally grateful to the singpetra Princes and am blessed by their mission.


Run by a small team of 7, the local singers have performed in Singapore and even the United States and as in the words of Paul in 1 Corinthians 9:19-23...I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all things for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings. Amen.




Grace : " Ma, what's that on the CD player?" Ma : "Songs?"
Grace : " Eu...O... they were the singers that brought Kong to Christ?"
Ma : Yea...
Why not bring your loved ones to hear them out too? One day?

Thank you Jesus for the work of Salvation.

No comments: