Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Oxford


The place is synonymous with the best, the elite and the smart.
The clever and intelligent come here to get smarter and be in demand.
Yes, I do notice many 'intelligent' looks as I strolled along the streets of Oxford.
I felt good here because I get to see the coveted place of my students and peers.
Now I know why so many long to be here.


The campus is spread out. You don't see the campus as a unified feature; having all units and facilities in an arranged one. Or have I been mistaken? Maybe I did not get to the precise spot.

Though hot, the winds are chilly and you don't sweat like the way back home so every walk is pleasant. So we sat and waited for the girls. They never seem to finish doing what they do best... shopping.


The streets of Oxford were filled with tourists; many from China. The Chinese seem to know what to strive for in life. So the tourist guides went..." Here, in the streets of Oxford you can see the University of..."

Sara ranted that it is her dream to do her Masters here... "Ma. I am not done with learning; I want to study some more..." How much and how long I wonder but ma is with you !



The building is solid; just like what it is supposed to be. A place where parents trust their children to be in; a place where parents covet. It promises steadfastness, trust, hope and reliability. Don't we teach these to students and children all the time? But somewhere along the journey some thwart away and do things not taught to them to the chagrin of their loved ones. How sad; all the teaching down the drain.


The steeple is tall and and eye catching. How nice to see it standing tall.


Clean and bright, it was a privilege to be here. At least when I speak to students about Oxford I can now visualize better and speak with conviction.



Doesn't this seem familiar ? Yes it is the real one; Oxford University Press. Oh I sound so flabbergasted. But I was excited. I have been there !



Grease is the Word... that brought back memories of the school too. Once in 2001 when Wei Pei and group danced to the tunes of the show and another only a couple of years ago when the choir put up a show. So much learning and teaching in creativity. Fun.

Dad even more excited than me wanted this most. But I was the wet blanket. No,no, no punting but yes, yes he said.




How can you come here and not punt? Only Esther was with him. Three against two. They lost and I won with the other two. On the hind side, I felt bad. It was rotten of me.



A photo with my girls whom I have taught values in life; trustworthiness, reliability and sincerity. I hope they live by these virtues and remember them just like any good institution would teach.


Grace as usual, the biggest joker and fun lover led her sisters in a time of joyous exploration here. They love to be here but get into squabbles not long after that; made up and then fight again so very often.


This is most symbolic. Learned. The figure speaks it all; literacy and the all.


Oxford, the coveted institution and where many found their dreams.
May many continue to find theirs there.

No comments: