Monday, May 25, 2009

Toys



Sesame Street



Sunny Day
Sweepin' the clouds away
On my way to where the air is sweet
Can you tell me how to get,
How to get to Sesame Street
Come and play
Everything's A-OK
Friendly neighbors there
That's where we meet
Can you tell me how to get
How to get to Sesame Street
It's a magic carpet ride
Every door will open wide
To Happy people like you--
Happy people like
What a beautiful
Sunny Day
Sweepin' the clouds away
On my way to where the air is sweet
Can you tell me how to get,
How to get to Sesame street...
How to get to Sesame Street
How to get to...


Remember the characters of the show?


Oscar the grouch who loves garbage and famous for its association with the trash can


That's Ernie


And Bert...at times it was difficult for the child to differentiate the 2 characters



Cookie monster with his love for bikies



One favourite character- Big Bird - always so friendly and entertaining

Elmo...although I don't have much memory of him...cos he appeared later and known for his infectious giggle and positive outlook


The family of Sesame Street that Grace, Esther and Sara knew of...especially so for No1. As a young mother, I had heard much about how this show would eventually influenced the creativity of children through the songs, animation, flash words, dances and figures depicted in various forms. Children love colours, music, movements and they get excited at every movement of the characters.
On top of that, the busy work schedule forced me to dump them in front of the box and to remove further guilt from my conscience, they really did learn from the series. Mark me, some of you who will be future mothers will follow my footsteps and let your children have their first formal learning through fun and colours...although the downside was it caused the girls to be TV addicts till this day especially Miss Grace.
Dad worked in Singapore in the mid 80s and each time he came home, he would surprise Grace with one of the characters in their puppet form. She would get so excited and waited eagerly for dad to come home during the weekend with a new toy. Dad was also thrilled to see her so delighted and took great pains to please her. How parents stretch themselves to please their children! I wonder if it would ever be the other way round?
So by the end of his stay in Singapore, dad had collected the whole set as shown above for his beloved girl. So, it went down to the younger siblings and everyone had their turns in learning through Sesame Street and I am eternally grateful for the learning experience my children went through.
It was not so long ago (7yrs?) when we decided that the toys should go as the girls have all grown up and had no particular attachment to them anymore. It was something I regretted. I should have kept them for the second generation. The toys were not cheap and they are evergreen and would be learning pieces for the next generation. So keep old things at times. They can really be useful and appropriate again. But time sure flies...


Now, the girls are exchanging roles ... they are buying me toys instead.



So I had my first real nice toy from my girls on Mother's Day when they bought me a new handphone for the purpose of blogging. They say I can take it out anytime and everywhere and snap...
Today, this new toy gave me a new thrill when No. 2 downloaded Teresa Teng songs and I have been on that the whole day...

Dad : Wei, now you behave like my site workers. Music from the handphone to accompany them through the day...
Mum : New broom sweeps clean...only for a while dear...


So, I will be going for the Forever Teresa Teng Show in The Arena of Stars soon...
Teresa Teng, the all time-favourite.

And...thank you girls for this gift of love.
I remember your gesture of love each time I hold it.

2 comments:

gracielau said...

eh...when u going for the concert thing?

and it's BERT not bernie.

Puan Chong said...

21June. Bert or Bernie...sound the same to me