Monday, November 17, 2008

30 years later...




Old friends...but we remember one another.



Chit Neo, Yon Bi, Son Boy, Chan Yoke, Seline

After all these years.

The geography Department of the University Malaya 1975-1978 came alive with some of us meeting once again in Mid Valley this afternoon.


30 years.


How to resist meeting them again?




Son Boy at 23



Son Boy 30 years later...she is still the same. Sara commented that Auntie Son Boy is so hip... and said, ma cut your hair and look like her....hahahahaha...Yea, yea , she has got style! She will also be a perfect MIL to a lucky woman!




Dug into an old album and there...Son Boy and me in Medan in 1980. Look at her, the way she wears her watch, her dressing ... so prim and proper. When at Mid Valley this afternoon I cannot help but admire her style. Neat, clean , meticulous and kind. She has always been my pal. From day one in those MU days. Her mama used to cook delicious hainanese chicken rice at Lorong Maarof, Bangsar and I was delighted each time I visited her. Aunty Au is still healthy and kicking, must make a point to visit her.



In those days, we were all very wise as we were all wife-material and decided to become teachers even then and make good, resourceful wives to some lucky men.

Chan Yoke, on the right of Son Boy, was my teaching partner in Assunta Girls' School in 1978. We were then under the mentorship of the late Dr. Koh Eng Kiat. You know something, as a student you need to get the hang of the mentor you are under. Just do things his/her way and get approval instead of protesting and getting yourself into trouble. Have your way later and you will be on the way to get a distinction. That's how I got one ....hahahaha...

However, not many have survived the teaching profession. Only Chan Yoke and I are still slogging ...the rest are rich tai tai lo.






This is right beside the Arts Concourse of Universiti Malaya then. Posing with Chit Neo after a class during our diploma-in-education year in 1978. Chit Neo is a contented wife and mother. She has 4 sons...tried very hard to get a girl but alas...her fate says otherwise. Hei...she is going to be a grandma soon and cheekily asked me when is my turn. Soon I said..wonder who is the lucky one?

So what did we talk about?

An excerpt:

Chit Neo : Ayo, what is your cholesterol level?

Me : Don't know...still living in denial. Haven't asked the doctor.

Yon Bi : Mine...6.9. But I am not taking any medication yet. I try to control my diet first. But I don't have a headache so I think still ok la.

Seline : I don't take any medication. In the UK we are forced to do our annual medical check up and if I'm not called back, I must be ok!

Another one,


Chit Neo : I found out we cannot simply take Chinese herbal medicine. My husband has been taking ginseng and statin and apparently it is too much and causing a thinning effect on the blood... not good

Yon Bi : Ya, cannot simply take Chinese herbs ...you do not the actual effect. Your liver will be affected!

Later,

Son Boy : I met Dr. Lee Boon Thong on a plane earlier this year.

Yon Bi : Oh, did he remember you?

Son Boy : I thought he looked familiar but I could not place him at first. Later, when he spoke I asked if he were Dr. Lee. He said which year?( all teachers ask the same question) Oh Chong Ik Poh's batch... Oh, that lady.. of course, of course.

Hahahaha... I used to teach his daughter, Julie, in Assunta ...and again when he came to collect the daughter's report book, it's mentor meeting mentee again... the world does go round in a circle.



Me, Dr, Lee, Son Boy and Peter Suan


Peter is in Malacca High School , still single but goes to Ireland every year for holidays. Why ah?
Chit Neo?

Earlier on we were asking about sons and daughters and their welfares and Seline shared a very wise thought. As long as they are happy, safe and doing what they like, that's her stand. I went through the statement again and again and suddenly realise how true it is.

As long as they are happy and safe.


30 years.


We will meet again...this time I am sure at a wedding dinner again. Son Boy, you go first.
We will meet again.

3 comments:

hmtan said...

Halo Pn Chong, I'm Ming from Malacca. Peter Suan is my schoolmate's MUET teacher and he is a nice guy =). Such a small world after viewing your photos.

Puan Chong said...

Hi Ming,thanks for dropping by. Can u pls ask ur friend to send my regards to Peter? Last saw him ...forgotten d...dono when.

hmtan said...

Sure sure. I might be going back to Malacca High School next yr to meet my form 6 teachers.