Monday, November 3, 2008

Thank you, dear student

A powerful testimony
It was a usual casual day in school when upon coming back from my rounds I found a piece of writing on my table. It was entitled:
Andy Gan's Testimony
Andy Gan Hsien Loong, awarded the most active student in co-curricular activities of SMK Seafield in 2003 entered into the Malaysian Book Of Records as the "Youngest Golf Overall Champion" at the Sarawak Junior World Masters Golf Championship. A handicap 3 golfer at just 10 years old, Andy was internationally recognised as he emerged victorious in MSSS Golf, Johor Royal Precept Junior Open, Sapura Junior Selection , MacGregor Hong Kong Junior Open, to name a few. He has done Seafield proud.

From his testimony, I learnt about his predicament :
  • diagnosed with leukemia (October 2007)
  • ruptured appendix (N0vember 2007)
  • bone marrow transplant
  • relapse in mid 2008
  • GVHD attack - chickenpox rashes (October 2008)

The above is quite a mouthful and painful to the eyes. One actually cringes at the recount of the sufferings and yet Andy has put many to shame with his outlook in life...although I have gone through a tough experience, there is a bigger picture there painted by the Lord in my life. Hence, I do not need to worry but just to delight in Him.

Andy continues to testify ;

The Lord is ever faithful and led me to use a book entitled "Give Me Forty Days of Healing" by Feeda Bowers in my devotional time with Him...wow everyday was like something new in store for me and He speaks every time and everyday as I first gave my covenant time to the Lord, I could commune with Him with much intimacy...

Covenant time...intimacy with God. I wonder how many people spend such quality time with God? Andy is right. It is through such soul searching times that much strength and hope is drawn. I am strengthened through his walk with God. You have taught us what it means to be in the presence of a merciful and loving God. At 21, you have gone through much and you have brought many to shame when they take their relationship with God so carelessly.

Another excerpt:

...on a Monday night, while having dinner at home, the GVHD attack came suddenly and attacked me on my skin...I felt very itchy and uncomfortable. My parents were worried and thought of rushing me to SJMC. But I did not want to be warded again...

I wanted to stay at home and spend time in the presence of the Lord...

I am not ashamed to admit that I broke down in my room at this statement...in the presence of the Lord... My heart tore as a mother and as a teacher to you and as I felt the presence of such a strong and meaningful relationship you have with Jesus. I envied you and long for such intimacy with God. You further related...

Thus I prayed and claimed in Jesus' name that all the attack and discomfort would be taken away and new skin would be restored to me. Praise the Lord ! After an hour, my skin condition returned to normal and I need not go to the hospital. Praise the Lord...I hope my testimony will encourage your faith to rise...prayers can move mountains.

Thank you Andy for being such a great testimony and helping us to put our perspectives right in life. You have taught us not to complain about small little discomforts but to be grateful each day for all the good things and then to count our blessings one by one.

Andy, our good God loves you. You know that. Nothing can happen to you without the permission of Jesus. But most of all ; He will provide you the strength. Be strong and courageous just as he reminded Joshua. Shalom to you too, Andy.

1 comment:

ѕнικє said...

He's certainly a fighter. His faith in the Almighty is so great, it reminds us that we have loads to work on our relationship with God just to feel His presence like he does.

Prayers can indeed move mountains and separate seas. Thanks for reminding us of the glory of God. God bless you, Andy Gan.