Friday, November 14, 2008

Why Not?

What is the cry of a child?









As I was clearing the annual garbage and preparing for the new term, I came across this small but significant booklet which has numerous expressions of a mum's love for her children. This is especially dear to me cos it was presented to me by my three girls in their primary school years and I have it with me all these years on the shelf in my room. If I don't recognise wrongly, the words scribbled were that of my no.2. Of course all three came out with their pocket money, I am sure.

I had a good time scouring through the encouraging words as they connect my relationship with my girls and precious to me. A mother's sacrifices come to naught when they remember you with fondness and kindness.

However, I was truly struck by the truth of this one expression:

To a child, love is spelled t-i-m-e.

A child's cry is just that. Time with mummy and daddy. So if daddy is the bread winner, the privilege will be the mummy's! Connection is essential for the wholesome growth of a being; an understatement; as the reality is shown in the many classic discipline cases I have seen in school. A father's and mother's roles are crucial for a well-nurtured child. And that needs time. No substitute. However, there is no complete euphoria in this world...how do we find time for the child?

My next reflection. If mummy is also a career lady, what happens? How much time now? Do we ask the extended family to take over? Grandma, grandpa, aunties, uncles, Filipino maids, Indonesioan maids, baby sitters? It's really not easy. But, the consolation is, children still grow up and some still turn out as fine. But what would you do?

Here's my 2 cent opinion.

If you are a male, take a teacher for a wife. If you are a female, and you want a vocation to vent out your talents, be a teacher. Halt it. That's just my opinion. You are entitled to your view. But I will tell you why.

Marry a teacher and

  • you have one at home to look after your children's interests in school (no need to worry about exam dates, school calendar, ins and outs of school...)

  • your children will be well taken care of during the holidays (save money on babysitting and keeping them out of trouble...)

  • you will be informed of the latest education gimmicks in town (you leave it to her to decide on which path to tread; you have a consultant...)

  • your children will be granted quality time with her ( afternoon naps, nursery rhymes, tv time, movie time, shopping sprees...)

  • you have a ready chauffeur to chaperon your children here and there (tuition chores, activity time, going to school, coming home...argh)

  • your bills and assessments will be settled without being fined (she lines up for you, remembers things for you...trained by the school to be meticulous...)

  • you inherit all her pension when she leaves this world (she leaves the legacy of forever supporting you in your old age...)

  • you have hot meals as she is also a part time housewife ( you can come home like a big boss and ask for food but please do the washing up...or you may find missing meals...)

  • your home is well-managed ( sometimes she even sews the curtains, sews pyjamas for your children, beds are made-up, drains are scrubbed...)

  • you have absolutely nothing to lose but everything to gain ( can you find a substitute?)

But never ever take her for granted cos if she leaves you...there will be a tsunami.

That's just my opinion...I know, I know you choose to say otherwise. But there's no denial that children of teachers have at least some quality time with the mother/father...with some exceptions! Even when ferrying the children to and from school they can share meaningfully and that is love spelled out. Being available when they need you is the key 'to love-spelled-out'.

And of course this modern society thinks otherwise. To be a teacher? NO WAY.

Come to think of it, my children's paternal grandma was a teacher, maternal great great grandpa was a scholar in China, great grand uncle was a lecturer in China, aunties of both sides are teachers and mummy is also a teacher...a family of teachers...now you know why they don't want to be one! But I am still advocating that they be lecturers in their profession. Possible? Nothing is impossible. Why not? Somehow, somewhere there is some teaching blood in the family... hint,hint...

To be a good teacher, however...hmmm...not everyone is a candidate.

1 comment:

Clement Cg said...

i wanna be a lecturer someday! =)
i don't mind following mummy's footsteps. my family is whole bunch of teachers and lecturers too! =)