Saturday, November 22, 2008

Sara's Pies

You have to pardon a mother if she loves to chronicle the uprising star of the home.

Just am very pleased that No. 3 has taken over the role of helping out in the preparation of supper for the weekly home fellowship meeting in the house. Last friday she volunteered to prepare an apple pie and gained the approval of the many aunties at the meeting:




Apple Pie


Aunt Sheila : Eh Sara, so clever. Your mother taught you?
Sara : No. My mother never taught me anything about pies.
Aunt Sheila : Wa, how did you learn on your own?
Sara : Books and the TV.
Aunt Sheila : Next time your MIL will be so glad to have you as a DIL !
Ma : Hei Sheila, let me proud of her first la. Why MIL?
Aunt Sheila : No...I mean she will make a good wife...every MIL's dream
Ma : Yea...my dream...I wonder why MIL must come in here?

Yesterday, she took up another challenge...a chicken pie this time.

Sara : Mum, my friend has ordered a chicken pie from me. How much should I charge?
Ma : Well. depends on your cost.
Sara : Mum , shy la, classmate.
Ma : Then charge reasonably.
Sara : But I also want to make a profit...

She woke up at 6.30 am to make sure she delivered her product to her classmate before class started at 9am. I thought to myself ...why bother? How much could she charge? To wake up at an unearthly hour to deliver?...But that's not how a mama should think right? For her grit and focus, I must say she is a good girl. It's not the money...it's just doing the right thing.



Chicken Pie

Later, last evening she made another chicken pie using curry puff pastry for her aunties and uncles at the meeting. This time she also prepared some gravy. Gravy was a little too thick and dad said that making gravy was his forte. Why not him? Next better time, dad. Christmas is coming. Plenty of opportunities to make gravy...Turkey, Shepherd's pie...

Incidentally, the mint choc cup cakes she baked last weekend left an after taste which was worth relishing about. She creatively added ganache (mixture of cream and choc) in the cakes and yes IT WAS GOOD.
I don't have a particular craze over cakes or anything she bakes but this time, it was different. I gobbled down 6 and carelessly took the risk of adding weight to my already not right-shaped body! Sometimes I just don't care anymore! That's how good it was. But I will not ask her to bake mint choc cakes in the near future. It has created havoc to my system.




Mint Choc Cup Cakes

Sara : Mum, I feel so inadequate when I see how good chefs decor the cup cakes.

Mum : You are also good, girl.

Sara : No...the ones in the internet are so much better!

Anyway...whatever...I think she has tried and is still trying her best.

That is what matters...right? I am a proud mama ( not MIL)

5 comments:

estherlauderlyn said...

Of course you're not a proud MIL. YET. When you get a SIL and he makes you proud then you be a proud MIL. duh.

Aiyoh the weather is getting worse here.

Jobot said...

This is kind of random but there's a talk tonight by a prominent speaker from America who's going to about Life: Prison or paradise in Masjid Al-Mukminun at 8 30pm. Non-muslims are most welcomed. Its free and there's no obligations. Hope to see you there.

Love,
Seafield student

Puan Chong said...

No comment Esther.
Sori Jobot I missed the msg.

Jobot said...

Its ok. There's going to be another talk by the same speaker tomorrow, 28th November in Menara TM at 8 30pm. The topic will be Faith, Science and Common Sense. Free admission. Hope you're free tomorrow. I'll be ecstatic if you can make it. See you there!

Love,
Seafield student

Puan Chong said...

Mr. Jobot...I have some guests tonite...sori again