Sunday, June 28, 2009

May The Best Be With You


Another Step Forward

I saw quite a number of students and parents last week asking for verification of economic and health status for student entry into the various local public universities for the July intake. It was with much nostalgia as I recalled the days of old when I too went to my Alma mater to ask for verifications from a Mr. Michael Perry, the then principal of Muar High School.

The parents I saw were humble and I could see they were hard workers and I was very glad for them as their children do them proud by gaining a place into the local institutions for whatever one may say, education is the key to a vicious cycle of inequality of any nature. I was glad the children who went through STPM and made it were also students who seemed matured and had withstood the true discipline of hard work. They will be the next platform for another generation of hopefully, good citizens.

I was especially touched when I see the parents putting down their signature in front of me and I told myself...here Ms/Mr...you are now the proud mother/father of a son/daughter who has done you proud and made all your days of work a pleasure...and the smiles on their faces, I could not forget. I felt for them as I feel for my own children...and I am sure as my parents felt for me when I went into the university. Back then, what do my parents know about matters of education and English? All they knew though was they must remind us to study hard and go to university for better days ahead. They were absolutely right. Thank God for parents.

I remembered Kong Kong cheekily telling me he was so proud of me that I could go to the university and during those days who would dare think of going overseas? You either get into the local university or Tunku Abdul Rahman College...but now students are more fortunate. There is this new avenue called private higher institutions of education which are helping many who are not able to attain a place or a course of choice to achieve their wants.

By the way, for your information, back in the 70s and early 80s education in Australia and New Zealand was free and in the UK it cost only a fraction of what it is today. It was the Common Wealth Countries camaraderie pact that aimed at helping one another...making education free for the countries involved. However to send one's child there would mean seeing to lodgings and food and that too would be too costly for many. But today, nothing is free. Everything costs a bomb.

So, for those who are going for the local stints , make use of the best of the opportunity given and do your best.

Remember, it is not how well you begin, it is how well you end.

For old times' sake, a photo to remember my pals until today, I learnt much from them as varsity mates...Choon Kim, Ai Hoon, Me and Son Boy

3 comments:

AnakMalaysia said...

''By the way, for your information, back in the 70s and early 80s education in Australia and New Zealand was free and in the UK it cost only a fraction of what it is today. It was the Common Wealth Countries camaraderie pact that aimed at helping one another...making education free for the countries involved''

Not sure about that Ik Poh, the Whitland government abolished tuition fees with the ultimate aim of not only promoting tertiary education in Australia but also to encourage Australian students to further their studies.

Only as recent as 1988 when Paul Keating introduced an alternate system(HECS) where foreign students(Commonwealth Countries included) were made to pay tuition fees. Not sure if camaraderie has anything to do with it, with regards with Australia anyway.

J Chong

AnakMalaysia said...

PEACE

Puan Chong said...

Peace...shalom...what othr more appropriate reasons can it be then? Malaysians got it free...ask your dad