Saturday, September 25, 2010

Die Hard Friends

Sara's friends.
Sara has grouped her friends in different categories : primary school mates, secondary school mates, college and university mates. Each time she is out with a particular group, I know which category they come from. However, one feature is common ; they are her die hards.
Some friendships arise out of loyalty and common interests; others out of love for the same religion and still others out of common studies in tertiary institutions.
Each set of friends stay relevant under different circumstances and I am glad she is warmly and deeply received by them.

I know when she leaves for the UK she is going to be in contact with some die hards of hers and that gives me great assurance of a meaningful stay for her.



Look at his photo : it's her secondary years in school and though this seems a casual shot it is true to say that they are still thick in friendship...this group is out of the love for the same faith.
Sara recently celebrated her 21st with some of them though they have been out of school and going through various routes of life since 2006.

Here they come :


Shaun ; ha. I remembered interviewing him in my office; guess why? He has been coming in late in the mornings and when I asked him why the late arrival ; he unashamedly said late nights and serious skating lessons in the Pyramid! He must have cringed at my rantings but he despite all the late nights I must say has great foresight. He has been training himself for 'on-call' sessions cos he's a budding doctor to be !




This fun-loving girl has always been known in school to be asking permission for this and that. "Can we have the camp fire night? Please, please we promise to keep the compound spick and span after the event. Can we stack the tree trunks under Block C ? We promise we will not breed aedes mosquitoes and can we...non stop." The scout champion is niece to me and her grandma was my principal in my secondary school years in Muar.
Fun loving but serious in her relationship with Jesus ; now Sophie is a champion in theological studies in the UK and she will be a good influence on Sara ; go to church!



No, no, no please don't blog. But Esther you asked me a pertinent question : Puan Chong, can I call you auntie? I am no longer your student. Sure Esther, call me anything that is comfortable with you. When her father cannot locate her , he will call me for Sara's number. Her father loves to know she is in the company of Sara ! No nonsense he thinks...hahaha...I don't know.






But this budding lawyer says it sounds strange to address me as auntie. Ellen says he will stick to Puan Chong. Apa pun boleh. He boleh tahan juga. Cooks the best nuggets.




Miss Actuarist ; growing prettier by the day. I look forward to having Agnes during pot luck dinners. Her mother cooks the best of everything. Sara says she doesn't know how she has developed such a strong liking for her. Must be same tastes... and maths.



Quan Wei arrived home from that 'guten tat' country a few hours before the gathering and could not wait to join his old buddies. This impending engineer is now fluent in German and can now 'cari makan' with some German braggings.





This couple has just been married ; fresh from the UK and are friends to Sara, Sophie and Garrett. Jason is Malaysian and attached to Astro while the lovely wife Simone is a Brazilian and an architect. She says she loves Malaysia and the weather is home to her ; similar to her coffee producing land of origin.





The buddies took the task of preparing the best cocktail and had a good yamseng time...while dad and I fell asleep.







Good friends who stand by you through thick and thin are the best gift of God. May they continue to be good friends in the years to come from generations to generations !

I know I sound old.





But this is a photo that I cannot for the life of me keep away. Sara with Anusha and sister. In her primary years they used to be good pals. They are so adorable. But times have changed. I wonder if they are well. They should be in contact I am sure through face book.

Friends... you have to be a friend to others to have friends.

No comments: