Sunday, September 19, 2010

Time Off

Youthful Indulgences



Dad is a busy man but he takes time off to indulge in hobbies from days of young. He has a special affinity for dogs and fishes. Ever since we first set up the home, it was an understood fact that I have to learn to like them too. I did not put up a protest. I went along with his passion and for the past 27 years have been living with dogs and fishes.


Occasionally, I reminded him that it is more expensive to maintain his dogs and fishes than to maintain me ! Oh I dread the times that I have to go to the supermarket to get dog food, fish food, dog shampoo and fortunately we need not bathe the fishes! I am not complaining...


As though there are not enough fishes around the compound, dad had the urge to put up a new tank for 'smaller species'...his rainbows sometime this year.

Quietly but surely a new feature emerged to delight his tired moments after work each evening. He would pull a chair to it and count the fishes and can actually tell when the newer ones went missing after being attacked by the first occupants of the tank and he would go ranting away.





I am no fish lover. I don't see anything so enlightening about them but when you live with someone who loves them , you've simply got to learn to love his hobby too.




So I began to see the thoughtful arrangements of the greens and the water species that compliment his picture.



This surely brings us back to poems and Enid Blyton days, don't they? They look adorable and do bring a smile to people if they choose to notice.



How about this little umbrella to provide further detailings ?




These earthen pots seem like treasures under the Straits of Melaka?



Yesterday, he carted a huge pot and began to recruit a larger following in it.






The fishes are smart ; they gather at the surface whenever they see us... for food.




See... they respond to us so warmly... and I must learn to look at them more closely.

Take time off to love what brings therapy and rest. Maybe you can begin too.


2 comments:

estherlauderlyn said...

This not very youthful la Ma. I think you guys should go off on a romantic beach trip somewhere alone. Or go cycling together also better :p

Puan Chong said...

soon.