Monday, August 4, 2008

A Wedding Invitation


I was invited to a wedding which I have been looking forward to for a long time. Michael Choy has always been like a son to me, and it was with great pleasure that I received the much- awaited invitation. Unfortunately, age is catching up with me: I misread the date and you guessed it - I missed it! :(


Chronology:

Somewhere in the middle of July, Yee Khiam's daughter came to see me in church one Sunday morning after the service to pass me a wedding invitation.

I opened it and lo and behold! Michael Choy was getting married! FINALLY!

Hm...it read Lau Ik Poh only? What about Robert? I thought.

The next day, I texted the groom-to-be : Hey, Young man. Isn't Uncle Robert included?

Young man replied: Also, also sorry ah!

So eagerly I replied : Yak ting tou!

(I will definitely come)

A little problem, quickly amended. Now I just have to make sure Robert doesn't see the mistake on the card.

Then the excited Madam Chong told every of her daughter from Down Under to Down Town that Michael Choy was getting married on 3rd August! Finally; I have been bugging him ever since Doreen Tang's wedding 2 or 3 Decembers ago.
I decided I needed to get something special to wear for the wedding... a new outfit. I managed to drag No. 3 along to the Parkson Bonus Link Sales last Thursday and eureka! ...found the ideal outfit :) I made sure Allie pressed it well for the wedding dinner on Sunday - I had to look my best for this auspicious day.

Thursday nite (31st July), I reminded my dear husband, "Robert don't forget Michael Choy's wedding this Sunday ah."
"Where's the card? I want to see where's the dinner. Bangsar Seafood Centre." he read.
I quickly snatched it back.
"Give it back to me. "

"Why take away so fast?"

"Bangsar Seafood Centre la.
"

(actually I was afraid he will notice the Lau Ik Poh tingee and get offended and then boycott) Whee... not noticed.

Friday night in Muar, Por por begged me to stay one more evening and I said I couldn't because there's a wedding to attend on Sunday. It was so important to me - Michael's wedding. His family is in Canada and I have a soft spot for him, so I made sure I had to give him complete moral support.

Saturday night (2nd August) Dad and I visited Jennifer who had just gone through a minor surgery in Assunta Hospital. Dad unfortunately had left his phone in the house - which was ringing with endless phone calls from the wedding! We came home on Saturday evening after
watching The Firm 2 in Jenny's house with the wedding constantly in my thoughts.
Sunday morning on the way to church dad casually mentioned, "Wonder why Pastor Siew Woh called last nite? Left the phone in the house last nite." Candidly I suggested "Why don't you call him now?" Dad chided exclaiming "How can? He's probably conducting a service now. I will text him and wait for his reply." With that we went to church.

Sunday afternoon in the house while polishing my nails and getting ready, dad exclaimed, "Wei, Lou Por, Siew Woh asked why we did not attend Michael's wedding?"
"What? Tonite what..."
"He said it was last night ! ??????"
"Last night?????? Not tonight?????? Oh dear."

Immediately I texted Michael apologising profusely. How could I miss his wedding?!

YOUR WEDDING WAS SO IMPORTANT TO ME THAT THE DATE SLIPPED OUT OF MY SIGHT. WILL YOU FORGIVE ME?

Thank God, he was gracious and replied,

FORGIVEN DEAR. WAS WONDERING WHERE YOU WERE.

And to think I wasn't anywhere... just waiting for the Sunday to come to attend his wedding dinner. Sigh.

Michael please, I am sorry, angry with myself and have not forgiven myself.
But I wish you all the best in your marriage and may the Blessings of the Lord be upon you and Fiona in your new life together.
Congratulations!







7 comments:

Jiashin. said...

omg hello puan chong! you have a blog :D

ѕнικє said...

wow, i never knew you had this thing for blogging behind the facade as a disciplinarian at school. hope more teachers will follow in ur footsteps so we can know whether the grass is greener on the other side of the fence for teachers. good job ^_^

Puan Chong said...

Jiashin: Dont know how long I will last

SHIKE : Yea there's always 2 sides to a story.

SEE YEE said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SEE YEE said...

i went for the wedding

SEE YEE said...

flora eng is my cousin sis and now micheal choy is my cousin too heh

Unknown said...

hi poh.. this is normah. It has been donkey years!! omg everyone is grown up. and ling is a grandma now!! and your parents look great.Im fine...we are so near yet so far. keep blogging Im enjoying your stories. Btw this my 3rd attempt to publish this message.