Saturday, August 8, 2009

Dried Shrimp Chilli Paste


Old tastes die hard.
This is dedicated to my youngest brother at present residing in the USA who longs to taste mama's recipe again, one of those times you wish mama is around you.
While attending Grace's convocation in UQ, my dear brother texted and asked how to prepare mama's homemade dried shrimp paste. Though I briefly thought it should be done in a certain way, I called mum last evening to confirm the recipe. It's indeed simple but sad to say it may not turn out the way it should be. But I guess practice makes perfect.
So, here it goes , Wann.


First, have the different ingredients in the amount seen above. Por Por measures them in bowls.



Next, get dried chillies. Here, I think I made a mistake. When Por Por said add chillie, I did not ask for the specific amount. On the hindside, it is important to measure the correct amount and it shoud be around 50 grams. I fumbled by adding too much...80 grams.



Remember to soak the dried chillie to soften it before blending it. Hot water will be useful and quickens the process.




You can either blend the dried shrimps or pound it like the pic above. I prefer the pounding process because I believe it produces a different taste just like when you boil soup over a charcoal stove .





Or course you need to blend the garlic, onions and soaked chilli together...or would you try the pounding process? It would take time and it's old fashion. But I like the old fashion way.




See the pounded dried shrimp and the blended ingredients. Remember the chillie amount should be only 50 gms for that amount of other ingredients.

Next, heat up some oil and pour in the blended ingredients over a small fire. You may add in a little bit of salt for taste ... only a little cos schrimps are salty.

Por kept reminding that the fire should be small ; otherwise it may burn the ingredients especially when dried shrimp is easily burnt.

Be patient and stir fry diligently over a small fire for about 20 -25 minutes until paste is dry and leaves the wolk easily.

Then scoop into a container for it to cool and keep it refrigerated.

I purposely heat up some rice and add the paste to taste and concluded that I have added too much chiilie at 80 gms so I suggest you add only 50 gms of dried chillies. Of course you can use the paste to cook vegetables or just eat it on plain rice.

This is for you Wann and I sincerely hope the concoction and taste will turn out the way you remember mama's recipe. You have a peculiar taste for food...you, the difficult one at eating.

Enjoy mama's dried shrimp paste.

2 comments:

gracielau said...

sHrimps ma..not sChrimps...
english teacher...pfft..

Puan Chong said...

Thanx...no need to sweep mama like that one...