Thursday, August 27, 2009

Old and New...


The old first...the kacang putih man of the town !

Was back to Muar to see the old folks and to taste some local goodies ; never got tired of them... Ah Khong's 'lou su pan' and Ah Pek's teo chew mee ! And...I saw this old man again ; thought I would never have the chance to meet him again.


I have always addressed him as the kacang putih man and many from Muar would have fed on his various kacang...rebus, keras, hijau, merah...name it. He is symbolic of the various variety of nuts sold in front of Asiatic Cinema along Jalan Abdullah. I can vouch that if one has ever been to the cinema one would have met this old man. A friendly and kind old man, he is always seen with a grin and his gentleness shown on the countenance of his face. Kong Kong drove me to town one evening to get some oyster cooked in eggs and told me that the kacang putih man is still selling the nuts. I got down and said hello to him...and he smiled so sweetly.

"Masih ingat saya? Selalu jumpa awak di panggung wayang dulu" (do you still remember me?...you are always at the cinema) and he went " hehehe...sudah lupa, lamanya" (I have forgotten, it has been a long while)...later he told me he's 79 now and he 's still at the business.

All kinds of nuts he sold...and by the way he was also synonymous with the mee siput. In fact, I ate a lot of mee siput prepared by him but he told me he has been pushed off the sale because of stiff competition from up and coming giant stalls...he was dropped off the race. Again on the same concept of economies of scale.

Mee siput is always so good.


My siblings will remember him well ; especially the one in the states...Old faces of Muar.


In this century and time, this cart still serves its function dutifully in the town. The local municipal council engages employees to get rid of rubbish along the street and drains using simple tools such as the cangkul and a long handled lidi broom. I used to see the cart as a student then and I guess though the methodology is old, the function still stays as good...as if no new ways could work better...I wonder why.

Now, for the newer happenings.

Along Jalan Ali, there used to be a row of blacksmith shops but today a new facade has taken over.




The whole block has been taken over by the Leong Hup group ( I was told) and has been turned into a hotel. There has been effort to maintain the external look...nyonya style but now its service has changed in nature.




The room rate seems reasonable and I am quite sure it would attract many during festive seasons. The location is perfect for those who love to eat...near the 'tam chiak kuay' - food galore street. However it will be quite a distance away from the seaside.


Serving the hotel is also an eatery that boasts of good briyani stuff.


The old wet market along the road has been transformed too. Small businesses have cropped up and now you can even do some shopping here...clothes and other essentials.


What a coincidence ! I saw this very top at Sungei Wang Plaza last Sunday while shopping with Sara and casually I asked for the price. It's RM49.90 and guess what...it says RM29.90 in Sg. Wang. It looks as if small towns do not offer things cheap anymore.




The kopitiam trend has also found its way here. Not White Coffee or Old Town Coffee but Town Street Coffee ! Not bad...good old Muar trying to change too.

A small talk about the town...some old features still remaining while newer ones are sure finding their way here.

1 comment:

captain doom said...

my parents and grandparents are from muar too and certainly, the mee siput and sambal tastes marvelous.