Friday, August 7, 2009

Homeschooling

Of late I have seen and heard from many parents regarding their stand for homeschooling for their children ... especially from church friends. I have also seen cases of pastors' children being homeschooled and heard their reasons for such a move.

I am not the ultimate in the affairs of the education field but this I know and have practised personally...
  • I will be afraid to homeschool my own children as I may lack the skill and knowledge to see them through all the subjects offered at different stages of a child's life
  • I may not be practising the right pedagogical skills in handling subjects that need practical assessment
  • My children will not have a taste of the real world out there
  • They will not be given the opportunities to develop leadership skills, 'follower' skills, team work, and acceptability
  • How do I teach them to run on the field without opponents?
  • I will not be afraid to let them be bullied, scorned, ostracised because when they survive, they will handle life's challenges more squarely
  • I want them to mingle with people of all races in this multi-faceted nation and know the struggles of challenges that are put along the way not through any fault of theirs and yet triumph... the challenge of finding a solution which is the card to living and to fight on all levels
  • I will hate to create a make believe world where they are protected from every angle...not having to brace through rainy days, storms and inequality.
  • Though some public schools may be full of flaws and inefficient, I will remember that I am not the only one going through it
  • I will rectify in minor ways through some tuition and personal coaching but I will let my children stay in the system
  • Unless I want to leave this nation, my children should at least embrace the SPM exam as the final exit point
  • If I want to have any consideration for any financial aid from the government / NGOS / Public Institutions, SPM will be the deciding factor

Some have informed me that the lacking skills I mentioned above can be substituted through religious organisations, public events and so forth. They also have told me that they suffer to see their children having to go through the inconsistencies of a system and might as well do their best for their children. I do understand but I still strongly believe it is fine to go through a public education system...somehow some good will still come out of it.

Unless your child is physically and mentally challenged, I think it will be good to let them go through mainstream schooling...do not put the blame on others ... the attiude has to be right. For this, I admire the parents of children who are financially challenged whereby they are forced to put the children through the main stream. They may have the last laugh when they their children become tough, highly motivated and are not afraid to storm the world.

We must not be afraid to allow our children to go through difficult moments because we have to leave them , one day.

It's only my two cents opinion.

1 comment:

Random Ramblings said...

Thank you for your lengthy and detailed point of view. It is a very tough call, believe me, but whatever our final decision, it is one borne out of necessity. There is no win-win situation, but in all things I also have to entrust his future in the hands of our great Provider.