Saturday, March 6, 2010

Communication Tools

Indispensable

If there is a choice between food and the hand phone, many would be choosing the latter. Yes, students go berserk whenever a hand phone is confiscated and there will be pleas and beggings for the sim card to be returned. They become disoriented whenever the contact is taken off them. This tool has subtly found its way into households defending its position effortlessly. Young and old hold on to it; no more as a luxury but a necessary item.







When my girls first possessed the tool in their secondary days, it was a challenge to me. How did I deal with this disturbing feature especially when they were preparing for school and public exams? Many parents will have known by now they are into messaging every other second and it is really a hilly task controlling their use of it. What did I do then? I may sound cruel but after much thought I decided that the phone should be in my possession after 8 each evening. Sigh... it was not a pleasant decision but what else could be done? But , I am glad those days are over...I hope they have realised discipline by now and a careful use of it means saving cash and that they have got over the immense dependency on it.




To my consternation, I found this grand niece of mine from the outskirts of Muar town flashing out the hand phone without qualms and using it like nobody's business. Ha, I must quickly grow old more graciously to accept the norm and not condemn. The hand phone is now a necessity, that I must concede to hastily.




Never mind about the hand phone. Perhaps an even greater distraction is the cyber space. Name them...chit chats, bloggings, twittering and sigh... I am lost. I can identify with parents who have children who conduct their revision and studies with the style shown above. The text is in front of the cyber space while they commuicate with the outside world. They talk and chat while doing homework, drawing and solving problems. In better terms, they are excellent multi-taskers. That was a cause for worry as I discovered my children doing that even until this day. When I first went to visit Grace in Chermside, Brisbane during her undergraduate days, all 3 housemates revised their studies in that manner.
I kept to myself quietly and considered their ways. Though I was alarmed, I nevertheless could not put my foot down strongly. Not to Grace at her age. Perhaps the communication was essential for her to be with friends, being away from home. Which was the greater evil? To alienate yourself from friendship and touch or allow them to communicate ? I digested the reality and told myself to cool down. I realised there are many things beyond my control. I can only accept the mode of learning in its context ; that everything practised is a matter of getting used to and letting it become a norm will be more acceptable that making a big fuss out of it. So, I let things stay the way it's done - the era of communication.

Let's hope maturity will take the better hold of us when we communicate whilse studying ; that discipline will come into play when the need arises. Children, let your parents be at peace.

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Here's the irony:

My mum used to do the same thing to me when I was a kid till the end of my secondary school years, I was only allowed an hour a weekend to be on the computer, total. Doesn't matter if it was for educational or entertainment purpose, and definitely NO computer time on the weekdays at all.

Fast forward to today: I graduated with 2 Computer Science degrees, work in a tech company, and live in the center of the tech world.

If her original policies still applied to me during my college years, I doubt I'd be where I am today.

So, the question I often ask myself is:

Did I choose this life because of my childhood restrictions?

Food for thought...

Puan Chong said...

Hi Kenn Min
I remembered those days when I used to run to u for computer help. O how I suffered, but u were always there for me. Yes, u were always associated with the PC and I am so glad you have turned out to be a jargon in that field now. Ur mama did that to u out of fear that u would be too engrossed in the PC and neglect your studies. But there u see, no need to fear. U rose up to the occasion and have done her proud. O lessons of the past but evrything boils down to good values and character.You are a good child.
Glad u drop by.
Chow