Sunday, July 26, 2009

Airports

It's not that I have seen or visited many airports but these two airports caught my attention as I travel to and fro to Australia...LCCT, Malaysia and the Coolangatta Airport, Gold Coast, Australia for the last two years.

I see LCCT grow in leaps and bounds and the traffic flow ... people and vehicles...have also simultaneously piled up. Its growth is so amazing that my sister who flew to Taiwan via Air Asia commented that LCCT has overtaken Sepang International Airport. The domino effect of the aggressive budget aircraft has definitely a great story to tell.



LCCT has attracted all kinds of people both international and local and has proved to be a contender in the airline business especially with AA's connection with Coolangatta.





Since December 2008, I saw renovation works carried out in Coolangatta with an intention to cater for the impending new traffic flow ... all thanks to AA ? Before AA's debut, international tourists making their way to GC would have landed in the Brisbane Airport but it looks like there's a twist in preference. In actuality, the present airport in Coolangatta is proving to be too inadequate with a small wait area and it's no wonder the Queensland Government welcomes AA's presence with open arms... the escalating effect of construction in Coolangatta is a much needed boost to the economic scenario.



I sat down at the miserable lounge area on arrival while waiting to pick up the rented car and could not help but feel proud of AA's impact on the airport. At the counter, I saw the local budget lines...Virgin Blue, Pacific Blue but none of them carries a population like AA. Malaysia making an impact in the land of the boomerangs and billabongs , not bad.



So it is no surprise too that passengers have been reminded of the new happening and the authorities' extended apologies noted. I kept on feeling that it is AA's presence that has warranted the need for a new facade to the place.



Glipmses of the new look at Coolangatta are partially seen as we checked in for home and Grace told me that the new look was only completed recently as she hasn't seen it before this trip.


Just as we were waiting for the departure, daddy asked if I had kept the receipts for the shopping done as there was a scheme for tourists to get their refunds. I cried in despair as I had thrown them away while packing the night before. I chided Grace for not informing us earlier and feeling guilty she went to ask for further information and confirmed that any refund could only be made with a single receipt for a minimum expenditure of A300.00 at a go. I felt better after that. So for those who are visiting the place in future, do remember this refund scheme. I think I will have no solid reason to go back to Brisbane or GC after this trip.
Malaysia's very own budget airline making an impact in Australia ; kudos.

No comments: