Friday, October 8, 2010

Confessions Of A Mother

It's an open secret.
I have many colleagues in school who share the same sentiment as me. They love the technological development of the century. Most of us have children overseas be it for studies or work and are in want of contact with them. So we resort to all means to peep into the welfare of our children and what better way than the following :
  • the most conservative is the email but nevertheless very effective to put thoughts and feelings across for the eyes of the beholder alone. This is more private and delivers our purpose and we cannot complain about the speed not after the snail mails that have been so much a part of our lives in our younger days. In those days if you are in a long distance relationship (ldr) with someone you will love the postman ... wait Mr.Postman ; did you bring a letter for me?...
  • next we have the skype and the msn which are really wonderful tools for us to hear the voices and also to see their faces. It is a delight during some parts of the day when we can spend some moments with our loved ones for seeing them is a great assurance on the state of their welfare. Whenever I see Esther after an msn session I go to bed with a light head and heart. I have yet to see Sara though. Grace doesn't want to see me anymore. Must be tired of my probing eyes.
  • then of course there is this more expensive tool - sending messages via the phone. Though not so cost effective it nevertheless is the fastest way to express feelings and share thoughts. I must make a confession ; I have been using this mode most often. Dad will occasionally pop in statements like ... wa , sending a message to Singapore is as expensive as one to Auzzie... I must exercise more discipline.
  • now they talk about the ipod and an ex student told me via msn last night that he's gonna get one for him and his mum when he comes home next month from the States so they can see each other anywhere, everywhere conveniently.
  • the Facebook is the most open and fastest way of sharing one's feelings, thoughts and information and it is through this channel that most of my friends learn about their children's welfare ... in a silent manner ... never to express unnecessarily lest they be cut off their children's fb...o what a threatened position we can be in!
  • to tweet is the next motion but honestly we mothers are not so meddlesome; we will not tweet la if it means putting the children under such stress...
  • and...of course even if people are telling me that blogging is going out of fashion, I love to read my children's blogs. I read in between the lines, feel their agonies and joys and best of all, I get to see their photos and the country they are in!

Ha... we mothers have learnt to be a little savvy too to survive but no complaints, no complaints. In fact we are so grateful that we are able to watch the welfare of our children from afar. When we sense them in trouble we will cautiously ask them questions and when they go through difficult moments we will close our bedroom doors, go on our knees and pray.

I love the tools of communications . My parents had to send theirs away with a one-way ticket dilemma. To send their children for studies to the far, far away country and then only to see them when they graduate. In fact they were not able to attend any of their children's convocation overseas as it was too deep to dig into their pockets then.

So on this day, isn't it wonderful that we parents can be in contact with our children even when they are thousand of miles away? For to see them safe and happy is contentment each day.

2 comments:

Joey said...

I love your post. I am not so different from you, and my daughter lives in the same house.

God bless you.

Joey

Puan Chong said...

I am encouraged Joey. Thanks