Sunday, October 31, 2010

MPT56


Tradition, tradition.
Once you have set a good pattern, the legacy stays. Last evening was one. After a laborious and stressful time of trials after trials the upper formers needed the break. A break from the norm and a time to foster friendship among themselves. After tonight many will go their own ways and some may not cross paths again. That's life. We meet and then must go different routes with some after the road less travelled. So they let their hair down. They became beautiful ladies and handsome gentlemen. They had the annual prom at Empire Gallery !
I was amazed at the physical transformation. So, so, so different. But a pleasant difference. I love to see then dress up.
So, let's scour through the evening together with me, the arm chair critic.





First, we talk about the gallery. As it is newly opened and as the saying goes; new broom sweeps clean, the organising committee grabbed at the opportunity to try the place. On the Likert Scale of 1 to 10, I would grade the ambience of the place at 7. The lightings are good and the 'stage' is modern but a little too cramp.
The food...argh...ok, ok only la and I would scale it at 5.
The service is bad. The VIP tables are badly served and the scale is 3...oh super critical I can be but it is so. Mr. Kang had to serve coffee and Madam Wong had to walk in and out to lay food on the table.
So Holiday Villa ( classics) and Summit Grand Ballroom; our usual haunts offered a better deal.




To offset some of the unexpected confusion of the place, the lower sixes headed by Soo Yi and Audrey at least performed the opening dance with some oomph and caught our hearts. This group is active and very very vocal.


With Louis and Debbie as the MCs of the evening, they held the audience's attention with their display of wit and helped the upper formers to a time of real ESCAPE... the theme of the evening. By the way where can they escape to? Your exams just round the corner. Face it and don't try to escape ! Oh I am such a spoil sport.




See, I could hardly recognise them. They seem strangers to me. Mr. Bryan Low is so so so good looking ! Teaching him English in Form 3 was a pleasure. This guy is somebody to notice. Fierce scorer. Next year in March, he will be in the limelight, I am sure.




Oh Carlos, Carlos. I like your casual style. You are frindly, amicable and so very easy to get along with. Have you got any enemies? No one will find you a potential contender except in the MPSJ padang! Handsome oh.



How quickly they matured last night. I see Jihan and Hanan grow up from form 3 till now. They are almost like grown ups. Oh why do they have to grow up so fast? And beautiful. At the lift after I left, a group of Japanese kept ranting about the pretty girls at the ballroom and asked me about them. How old are they? Where are they from? 17? Oh they kept saying that the girls are all so prettily dressed up. So I went ranting too with oyasumi nasai and anata wa namae wa nan desu ka? They raised their eyebrows and I told them that was about all I knew in Japanese!



This is a father and son team. Representing the PTA, Mr. Azlan told the children to enjoy the evening and his son failed him not. He was like a pro and sang with gutso. A potential stage performer. His dad watched him with much pride and sometime with his mouth partially opened in awe of his son's talent.

There were many string instrument performances and all were really good. They played the instruments well and I think someone sang KISS ME... was it Liesl? Well sung.



I could not imagine this scorer at the guiter. He sprang, sang and strummed the instrument like a pro. The mama must have decided that he had tried hard enough at the exams and allowed him to develop other potentials...




Nicholas is the most surprising. Wow really boleh tahan. He sang with the right expressions in vocals and bodily movements. He can dance ; he is a dancer.




Midway through his performance, he decided to take off his coat, tie and rolled up his sleeves and drooled away like who ? .... He thinks he is Adam Lambert!



He even got his nails painted! Emulating to the very core... But it's ok Nicky. It's your night and tiada tindakan disiplin ; I promise not to breathe a word to Madam Ung.





A highlight before the greater highlight...who is best dressed? Many were chosen but the best of them all were...




Rishi and Ken !




Next, who were the king and queen?




So many to choose from...Farhan, Haziq, Leon, Jun Wei, Jihan, Hanan, Alyaa...





Pretty girls all in a row...but my choice was not the audience's choice...we differ in taste...



So... the King and Queen ! Leon and Jun Wei. Congratulations !

After the crowning, we the older ones took leave. We left to give them more time to mingle in the way they like. When I saw the girls, they reminded me of Michelle Ng, Esther Lau, April Cheah, Ada Chee and the gang of 7 of 2004. How time flies. Now they are really grown ups. Not joking. I actually miss their sweet dispositions and I see how they mature in life and taking all challenges in good strife. That's life. You face the challenges squarely.

To my form 5 and 6 leavers of 2010, may you find light at the end of the tunnel and live a life worthily and bring joy to all around you.
God Bless you all , my children.

No comments: