Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Blood Ties

Grand parents and grand daughters.





This is a pic taken in 2006 in Germany showing the grand parents and their grand daughters. Somehow the girls have a soft spot in the hearts of the old folks. First, it is because they are girls and are often associated with the vulnerability factor and secondly, they are able to win their hearts with thoughtful gestures. So Kong and Por very frequently would call and ask about the well-being of their grand daughters and the calls speak volumes of their constant care and love for them.

This evening Por called me thrice...and it was all about Grace.

Having spent the Christmas break in Singapore with my sister's family, they nevertheless included Grace in their holiday activities there. Por related that they had fun in Singapore and was glad that Grace could be with them for the whole of yesterday after her call. She further told me that they had a wonderful dinner together and after a day of fun, they eventually had to drop her off at her apartment.

The story started there. She shed tears over the phone because dropping her off at the apartment alone broke both Kong's and her heart. They could not bear to see her go off alone and was afraid that being alone in Singapore was just too hard on her. I told her she is an adult and should be able to handle her own life. But ... no she said. She insisted that I should go down more often and accompany her. I told her I will ; in due time. Then she started to ask about Sara and Esther. I told her they were home helping daddy and that was consolation to her. My mother loves deeply and dearly. I know she will be calling again and talk about Grace for the next few days.

A grandma's love for her grand daughters... it's not possible to tear her away from them.

Me to dad : Do you think Grace is suffering there?
Dad : She is an adult. Stop treating her like a kid , will you ?

But daughters never grow up in a mama's heart, do they? Por thinks I am only a child even at my age and yet we have got to learn to worry less...and remind Por to cry less.




The girls are always babies in Kong's and Por's eyes.
Bless Kong and Por.

No comments: