Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Hookah

The locals call it the Shisha, that's what the girls told me.


I first noticed them a couple of months ago when I had supper at one of the mamak stalls in SS15 Subang Jaya. Boys and girls ; mostly teens were gathered around tables chatting and puffing long tubes of smoke. The whole place turned smoky with them sharing the pipe amongst one another. I thought the pipes looked so middle-eastern and why were they so loved by the youths? Wasn't it a form of smoking too? But it's happening among very young teens. I have never seen it so commonly used before. When did it become so popular?

It was thought provoking and I wondered why so many youths seemed attracted and addicted to it? Is it a replacement for the cigarette? Hmm...anything with smoking will not do the lungs good.



Last night while out for a steam boat meal with the family, I was again appalled to see so many youths gathering in a local coffee shop playing cards, chatting and sharing the Shisha. This time I took a shot with permission of the owner and he was amused that I was so keen in the pipe.




He demonstrated on how the pipe was used and told me that he was actually smoking flavoured tobacco. The flavoured tobacco was placed above water and covered by pierced foil with hot coals placed on top and the smoke was drawn through cold water to cool and filter it. He actually showed me how it was done and laughed at my astonished look. I thought such practices are meant for the old as a pastime and not among youths.


I had a quick glance into the coffee shop and saw so many teens and youths ; both boys and girls puffing away the same pipe openly as they passed it around. Now, I am going to sound very old fashioned. Should they be doing that? Oh it's only a social pastime; I shouldn't be alarmed by it.

But I had a small heart attack because I saw an ex-student doing it with his friends happily puffing and playing cards ; oblivious of my stare. I hope he will not be too addicted to it. Anything with long term puffing will cause some harm?


The Shisha has found its niche among local youths I guess ; though I am not too sure of its influence. Habits die hard. Hopefully it will not be habitual .

No comments: