Monday, November 29, 2010

The Apprentice

Truth Revealed
I suppose life definitely does not stop in school. How does one get the message to uncooperative ones? Perhaps I should ask this apprentice of dad's to testify in a counselling session. Here's the truth :

Apprentice : I have a magnanimous problem. My 5 year-old son cannot read a,b,c ...yet. I send him to the kindies but it doesn't seem to help. I am afraid he would not be able to read ; just like me.
Dad : Didn't you finish your SPM?
Apprentice : I did. But I failed everything. I regret that I cannot read and write despite being in the school system for 11 years. Now my son seems to be following my footsteps.

Dad asked me why is it that a child is permitted to go all the way to SPM without making it at PMR? I told him that the Malaysian Education System discourages drop outs and a child has the right to be in school for as long as he wants up to Form 5. Now this is the greatest challenge to teachers. You have to handle the good, the bad and the ugly...all in the same package. I think it is really acceptable as long as the child is teachable and not indifferent. Slow learners are not a pain; defiance is one big one.

Dad : What did you learn in school then? You cannot write? Read?
Apprentice : For Bahasa Melayu I can try the 2 syllabic words. I know nothing about English. Now I cannot even write an invoice or spell words correctly when I see my clients. I find it impossible to put my thoughts in writing. I know how to build cabinets, closets but I cannot tell my clients the breakdowns and costings in writing, I must go to night classes again. I need help.

There is this constant reminder that concerned teachers put forward to uninterested students about the need to know some basics of learning especially on 3 subjects - English, Bahasa Melayu and Maths. You see the apprentice says he needs to bill in figures and words to his clients. His vocational skill of carpentry was picked up after his formal school years and he is really good in them. But he cannot write and read for future engagements which are so vital for survival. How do you understand the contents of an agreement?

Dad : What did you do in school if not learning?
Apprentice : Oh, I play truant. I dislike learning and I run away all the time. I must tell my son never ever to do it.

He is not academically inclined. But that does not mean he is useless. See, he is able to pick the carpentry skill well enough to make a living. He is not interested in academics and he should have been rolled in a vocational institution. That has always been the most practical option. But some parents do not agree. They think it is mandatory that the child be academically trained - so not true. I have tried many times to advise but to no avail. Now I am glad that the MOE is looking hard into the setting up of more vocational schools to arrest drop out problems. A step in the right direction.

Dad : What about your wife? Can't she guide your son?
Apprentice : Like me, she is not able to read and write. She's in sales - selling products which need no other literacy skills. Now, I know my son is in trouble. We cannot guide him.

There is the need to break this vicious cycle. How would you do it? Realisation came a little too late but not too late. There is still hope and concerted effort can lead to literacy in the child because they have already identified the challenge. May the apprentice and his wife arrest the challenge and bring up the next generation who is able to read and write and there is no denial that the son may just take up his trade; but this time with greater tools of literacy for better business developments.

May we teachers also have a chance to testify and share with reluctant learners in school the need to gear themselves up with literay skills for survival of the foetus.

No comments: