Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Cold...

The hazards of the cold

A sister of mine once told me that Malaysians are a fortunate lot. We go through each year under shine and maybe some mild floods and rain. She has resided in both temperate and tropical lands and finally admitted that the people who go through the four seasons have a higher threshold of grit and determination especially when they have to put up with the cold. They have to adjust and accomodate accordingly and in the process become stronger species.

The UK has been going through bouts of very cold and cruel winters as recorded in the last few decades. I do not know what it really means to face winters. I suffer from ear aches when the early morning breeze slaps my ears and I go under layers of warm coverings when the air condition is on.
I gather I will not survive well under the cold weather. I may not be able to withstand it.

So when I received a call from Sara this afternoon amidst a meeting, I knew she must be facing a problem...

Sara : Mummy, I dowana go to class.
Me : Why?
She is a good girl. Playing truant has never been her cup of tea and it must have pricked her conscience real hard that she has decided maybe to skip class.

Sara : Mummy it' s so cold... I will get all wet before I reach class. I hate to go out in the cold.
Me : Then don't go. ( when your child is so far away, I will not force anything upon her but to give in to needs of the moment).

Sara : But Mummy, I have 5 classes today. I cannot afford to miss them.
Ma : Then go girl.
Sara : Hmm...

As I sat and reflected on her years back home, I must admit that she has to go through many adjustments...the weather, cooking for herself and having to face challenges on her own. But that will also mean the process of growing up. I must be strong myself and not worry.

She will be fine.

2 comments:

n-g said...

Don't worry Pn Chong. It's character building!

Puan Chong said...

Ahem...yes it is.