Friday, September 18, 2009

2nd Anniversary

Remembering Aunt Cheow Hui

The last trip during Easter saw Sara and I visiting Grandpa Lau's place of rest and inadvertently we decided to go further down the road to another cemetery to look for Aunt Cheow Hui's tombstone.
Our efforts were not in vain because even though it was raining casts and dogs, we braved the thunderstorm and found the spot. The sudden heavy pour upset Sara and she even wondered if we had parked our car illegally. She's very like me...quite afraid to make mistakes and to be caught by authorities. I assured her we did not and she kept pestering why we were the only ones at the cemetery. Told her not to be afraid cos we were visiting Aunt Cheow Hui.

We could not find the spot the previous year...but it was newly erected this year...way up the slope and Sara was the first to spot it.

It was good to see her place of rest...all the way from Japan...and home to her birth place ; Muar. I must say it was not without nostalgia as I recalled things of the past and our acquaintance ... swimming in the one and only public pool in Muar Tanjung every Friday evening and sharing all our girlie talks. Occasionally we went out in foursome...Annie, Pin Chia, she and I...then in teochew we would babble about almost anything. Later, we met again as she stayed with me for a period when she lectured in the Language Institute in Lembah Pantai and she became close and dear to the children...oh well ; it was painful and I could not hold back as I saw her again in her place of rest.



"Why do you seek the living among the dead" Luke 24:5

It was indeed the most comforting thought of the day as I remembered the promise in the word of God...that someday we would meet again. She had stood tall and faithful in the Lord...never blaming Him even in times of pain but always hoping...and the Lord gave her time to see her children grow...a good 8 - 10 years ; I believe.



Yes, dear Cheow Hui , we remember you again , this year.

No comments: