Thursday, September 17, 2009

Whee...Holidays Again !

I love the Government of Malaysia !
Rakyat didahulukan
Pencapaian diutamakan !
Tomorrow is a special holiday for everyone who is connected to the Education department !
The perks of being a cikgu !
The very idea brings out joy as the season of celebration is in the air again.
Malaysia Boleh !

After a day of serious meetings, it was a surprise to come home to 2 ladies busy stirring lotus paste making mooncakes again ! I have never seen nor experienced mooncake making in such frenzy. Sara is obsessed ! She is into making mooncakes until she gets it right.




So they stirred and stirred until the consistency was perfect. In good company and camaraderie spirit, the cousins shared their future plans and studies in the UK. Sophie will be leaving next week again to continue her theology pursuits and Sara aspires to join her next year in her law programme. I heard them talking about food and shelter and it is indeed good that someone will be there for Sara when she leaves for the UK.

As I see them stirring and and sharing, I could not help but feel that it is indeed true that you are brave when you are younger. You are not so afraid of failing in your endeavours and I take my hat off for Sara for her insistence in putting things right as well as she can...like making mooncakes right. I would have given up , long ago.




After a successful attempt at agar-agar mooncakes, she took it in her stride to do the real thing - making red bean moonckes.



The red bean ones do look like mooncakes, don't they ? Except...it did not turn out as well as it looked. The fillings were a bit too dry and the skin was not akin to the ones you buy. So, she was a little disappointed. But that did not stop her from trying another version...the snow skin ones !


Pretty snow skin mooncakes , aren't they ?


The taste was not too bad but I told her the consistency of the skin was not there...but generally quite good...edible. so, she told me yesterday that her mooncakes stints are over and that she would attempt other forms of delicacies.

Today, she received an order from cousin Steve...20 pieces for the weekend !

Sara : Ma, I have got an order for mooncakes from Steve!

Ma : No Sara, not mooncakes...you are not ready yet !

Sara : But, Ma...he insists. How now?

Ma : Go call Aunt Christine for help...I heard she makes gaya mooncakes...ask for tips!

She is bold and unafraid because the moment I came home she told me that Aunt Chris says homemade mooncakes no matter how many times one attempts will never turn out to be like the commercial ones. The commercial ones have special formulae...fit for the market. So, she is comforted by the fact that even Aunt Chris can't make mooncakes like the ones sold in the market! I was hoping she will get the hint and not bake anymore mooncakes.

But look...mooncakes in the oven again ! Looks like she is taking up the challenge of Steve's order !

She told me she has found another way of preparing the skin and that this time she was able to do it as right as it should be...I will be able to know after a few days.

Perserverance...she has it. I was with her former Physics teacher this morning and she told me she has learnt of Sara's mooncake making sessions.

Teacher : She must be studying the right course...so much free time to develop her baking skills.

Me : Ya..mistake. Should have forced her to do medicine and keep her on her toes !

Teacher : What does she want to do next time?

Me : I don't know...maybe open a bakery...or a housewife? She tells me her favourite cooking stars are all professionals in some fields first...then turn full time cooks. So...make a good guess.

Whatever the outcome may be of her latest mooncake attempts...I must say she is gung ho in getting it right. May it turn out fine...and Sara...enough mooncakes for the moment. Well done.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

hye puan chong..

nice blog you have here. i am nik amirul faiz. i am not sure whether you remember me or not. but i was one of your students for batch 2002 in smk seafield. haha.. i think if you remember me pon, it wil be as 'budak nakal' sekolah. haha.. neway, got to know your blog from your daughter, esther. coincidently, we work together in the same office. haha.. anyway, all the best to you and family. happy hols!!

sincerely,
nik amirul faiz

ubersupersara said...

WELL DONE?!

pelase lah. why dno't you tell the truth to everybody about how you laughed all night and told me to give up.

Puan Chong said...

Yup...Nik...must look at you first...old memeories and so many Niks...come to school and see us.
Sara : I laughed becauseI really saw your perseverance...wanting to make it right...that's all la.