Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Old Fashioned Taste


Butter Cake

I am afraid I am going to sound terribly old -fashioned again...blame it on my childhood, perspectives of life or even taste buds ! But, of all the many, many, many types of cakes I have tasted in my life time...I truly must say I love butter cakes most ! Butter cakes...or marble butter cakes.

That species of butter cake originates from good old Muar found in most Hainanese coffee shops and they really look humble .


I mean if I were to ask Sara or even any of her contemporaries to attempt the cakes shown above , they will probably give a second thought... a gap between the old and young.



However, if they really, really need to taste butter cake, they would probably choose one that at least looks like that one above. They go for looks. Another gap.


Who will think that the cake above really is my favourite cake? I love the consistency and the butter- after- taste feeling in the mouth.


Yes, I look forward to receiving the cakes when my dear friend from Muar gets it from a particular shop and supplies me...in whatever shape. It makes my day.



Do you know it is the ultimate when I sip Muar Kopi O kau together with the butter cake? A beautiful evening break with my favourites. My girls will laugh at me. "Ma, like that also nice, ah?" Yes, it is the best. The girls do no take coffee like I do...another gap.




Sara received another order from an old classmate for his mum's birthday and baked a chocolate banana cake. She gave me orders ( another gap? I don't give orders to Por Por) to pick up the ingredients whenever convenient and in 2 evenings she invented the new concoction .
Beautiful, isn't it? It tempts the eyes and the taste buds. It will attract many. I am sure it tastes good...I must remember to ask the birthday girl.


But, I still will not trade the world for the coffee and butter cake in the picture above...not even the chocolate banana cake.

I am old fashioned and I must change...but they say tastes die hard.

Happy Birthday, dear Puan Chuah.

No comments: