Thursday, March 17, 2011

Drawing Inspiration (1)

Inspired by Kong Kong

It is again this time of the feeling again. We need to go back to Muar not to inspire but to be inspired by the old folks. My sister , Ling and I decided to make another trip to our quiet hometown to draw strength from my father and mother.




Kong Kong asked : Why are you always snapping photos of me?
Me : Oh... want to show you off to the world; to let my siblings all over international shores have a peek at your latest state. Can or not?
Kong Kong : Up to mischief again !

I thank God that we have still this opportunity to lovingly joke with him and to have his attention.




If you think you are too old to drive in your 60s or 70s be inspired by him. "Hey, you think the JPJ will still renew my driving license? It's going to expire in a couple of years. " At 93, they may just be too bewildered! I wish to be able to drive like Kong Kong for as long as I can.




He's into the international scene. Nothing escapes his eyes. He learns from politicians and negotiations and settles for a final decision. Sometimes he agrees with world leaders; at others he protests. It is good to hear him talk and draw wisdom from his words. When we are with him, he talks more than us. We talk so much at home ; we need to be talked to. It's a good feeling that you still can run to dad for inspiration.






Loyal customers go to "Ah Pek" for help for a minimal charge. Though he has been complaining that his fingers are no more so deft, I still marvel that he can hold those apparatus well enough to do a task. I may have stronger fingers but I definitely cannot perform the job. He would say this is "kacang putih" ( small) business and I am just whiling away my time for lack of better things to do. Don't we draw wisdom here? You need to be involved in some practices and routines to add meaning to existence. So if you are only interested in sleeping and doing nothing else, you cut meaning away. Serving some social organisations is also a venue ; like the church.






On a lighter note, Kong says the mahjong game must have kept him away from Alzheimer; for in the game he strategises against his enemies and make good moves to win some small money to buy us 'mee siput', peanuts and guavas. It's not the money; it's the winning streak that makes it work. Having been in this sleepy cove since fifteen years old, we are glad that some simple past times like this has kept him going. But this I cannot emulate well, not interested.




In the nights when all for the day is completed, we love to laze around him and hear him discern world situations. Right now he is surely very disturbed that my younger sister is in Taipei as he seeps in news of the nuclear horror of the aftermath of the latest tsunami off the shores of Japan. He is perturbed and yet understands the complexity of the whole matter noting whether it is wise for Malaysia to install any nuclear plant. Yes, he is listening intently to the latest arguments of the debate of the impending nuclear plant that is being considered on our local soil.




On Sundays, he goes to church and meet up with friends for fellowship and sharing. This morning at breakfast time my sister said : "Come Kong Kong , let's give thanks for the food." She prayed that God will continue to sustain Kong Kong and Por Por and keep them well. She also told me that Kong even at his age is so obedient and concedes to our requests and follow Jesus. We are eternally grateful to our Heavenly Father for his salvation. This earthly father of ours is a joy to be with for we look unto him for confidence and advice. His exemplary ways of managing his life and finances as I have said before will put many who have been great economists and scholars to shame.




On weekends he will pop over to his old abode which he finds it difficult to dispose because of the great sentiment he has attached to it always proclaiming that it is in this old house that he saw his children do well in school and cleans the compound. Yesterday, it is at this very place that he said that I have been an obedient child in the early years of my teaching because I gave him a third of my salary to keep him happy. But they were good moments to have him send me to town each morning to meet colleagues for car pooling to school; some 60km away. He was sorry to see me labour so hard just to get to work. But I made it through.



We draw inspiration from his steady outlook in life as he reminds us to let go of matters that are beyond control and to live a day by itself. His kind and practical ways are to be emulated. When things get too tough we go to him; to gaze at him and then to be reassured of life.

At 93, Kong Kong is still an inspiration to his children.
Aren't you inspired too?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

inspiration to children and grandchildren. and greatgrandchildren!