Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Gap





You will be surprised how vocal teens of 14 and 15 can be. When I asked them to talk about the gap; they asked me : "What gap, teacher?"


I challenge them to speak on whatever gaps they deem fit to talk about. Sure enough they talked about so many gaps; physical, emotional, economic, social and most talked about the generation and parental gap.




They told me that they have differences in opinion with their parents. They have been too much under control and they want more freedom. Yovisha related a truth : Children will say their parents do not get it whereas the parents will say the children do not see it ! Finally she conceded to the fact that parents look into practical matters but the children will ask for the ideal...the infamous gap.



When I asked one of them what do they mean by social gaps, she told me that it was more of the have and have-nots gap. She said that she feels it when her friend has a handphone and she doesn't and after that a comparison of brand. It went on to include clothes, shoes, bags and others. This reminded me of the days when my girls too wanted some items and I chose to refuse them because I wanted them to make decisions that are worthwhile. This has gone a long way as they are making decisions each day on their own now. Doesn't it go back to character building days like now? There are choices to be made the moment you open your eyes each day. But Por Por is wise; she always told me not to deprive the children too much in the name of discipline as it may result in some negative effects; it's always wise to give in at times as parents but not all the time.



Kenn spoke on the gap in education opportunities and how they will end up in gaps in job opportunities. Then Samuel said that there was this racial gap especially in a multi racial country like Malaysia and the need to close it for racial harmony and development. I was pleased that they could verbalise matured feelings and thoughts.




At the end of the hour session every child spoke his/her turn and mind ; another indirect way of assessing them orally before the final mark is penned for them. I could see a new sense of achievement and confidence at this second round. Hopefully they will be able to public speak at impromptu places and not fear the challenge. One has to learn to speak publicly to want to speak later in life.


An orator and school debater, Sara is telling me that her field of interest in law is to advocate; to speak her mind and not really to sit in an office and do mundane chores. She is what she is today because of the opportunity she had in school when she fought in the debates and when she spoke in front of assemblies; take it that all skills have to develop from a base; the classroom and school is one.


So, let us train our protege and let the natural in them surface.


I can see a couple of advocaters in 3 Hormat.

No comments: