Thursday, January 27, 2011

He Sobbed

Sobs

Today was one day that I had to learn to think like a youth and image their train of thoughts. Walking around again this mid morning, I saw a boy sobbing on a flight of stairs in school. Surprised to witness the scenario, my maternal instincts told me that I had to get the story out of him.

"Why're you so upset, young man?" Though reluctant to share in the beginning, I finally got him to tell me the reason for his disappointment.
"I wasn't picked to be a prefect today. It's so unfair. They found my old tricks and took them against me. It's just too unfair !". It wasn't the outburst that caught my heart; it was the genuine flow of tears that held my attention. The boy was truly upset. He had to escape from class and find a corner where he tried to decipher the disappointing outcome. I was evoked too.

I needed to reason with him and use a right approach as he was upset and I did not want to aggravate the situation.

"Ok look here. When you chose to go under probation you already knew that you may not be chosen. Am I right?" He nodded his head in agreement and I took the opportunity to explain further.

"Do you know that there are limited places for the position and some may not succeed ? You happen to disqualify but that does not mean you are not good. You may not be good in this duty but you can excel in other positions. You may be the president of a club one day. Yes, it is not because you are not good but rather others may have stronger inclinations."

I continued along this line of argument and he finally wiped away his tears as he became more aware of the situation. He agreed with me as we walked together to the next block. I hope he learns to get over the disappointment soon.

Yes, teenagers have practical lessons to toughen themselves up for the real life out there. This is only the beginning. There will be more to come. We start with small ones to graduate into bigger ones. Someday I know he will cry no more when he does not get what he wants but rather he will find consolation in good reasonings.

The school is the best place to put things in the right perspective and we allow no bitter feelings to crop in whenever a challenge happens. It is the school's aspiration to see her protege emerge successfully under all circumstances.

I hope the boy will sob no more.

2 comments:

*YenN* said...

Puan Chong, every time I read your school related posts I just feel that the country would be so different if every teacher were to be like you.

You are an inspiration.

Puan Chong said...

I am encouraged Sue Yen. U take care k? Happy CNY...