Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A Stranger


Many times I feel like a stranger in my own country...

I also chuckle at myself when I feel foolish for wanting to explore overseas when I hardly have savoured in the beauty of my homeland. Sara always tells me that Kuala Lumpur has a strange effect on her. She loves the authenticity of the city and admires the cultural aspirations mingled among the people out there.

I also have this feeling. I like to hang around the old Petaling Street and watch how people do business and taste the unique food cooked by experts especially the Hokkien Mee. Somehow I get excited each time I make a trip there. Sara surely shares the same sentiments. I lost a 'kaki jalan' (partner) when she left for the UK and it's not the same with the other girls.

They say beggars have no choice. So I begged Esther to accompany me down town to catch the Lunar New Year mood.

There was not much of a crowd. But Esther has other tricks that I do not have though. She introduced me to a place for authentic local hawker tastes. After visiting this place, I promise myself that I will bring everyone and anyone who is with me for meals there whenever I am around the vicinity.


I am not joking.




There is this place that dad often talks about to friends. Apparently the best hawker stalls have been invited to participate in Hutong Heritage Food Village just at the lower ground floor of Lot10. Passing along the place, Esther told me that she has tasted the best beef noodles in the world and insisted that it was a must that we had dinner there.




As you go down a flight of stairs into the hawker village, you feel the uniqueness of the ethos. It seemed to connote expensive meals but you will be surprised how affordable the meal can be.




The oriental expression is apparent.




Tastefully displayed are framed culinary images of world class looks.




It is further conformed with a write-up about the place and there are also pictures of Michelle Yeoh with the boss of the place ; confirming the best ever here.



The Boss of Yes is also the boss of Hutong Heritage .





Hutong boasts of stalls which have already etched their reputation in the hearts and minds of the local folks who go for nothing but the best. Soong Kee is a household name for beef noodles among the KLites and it says here that it is a 3rd generation family business.





Along Petaling Street area we also can find beef noodles of this concoction but Esther only wants the Soong Kee version. Sara, if you are reading, mama will bring you to this place the next time you are home and you will taste the difference. Guess what? Rm11.59 for 2 bowls. I think it is pretty cheap. But most of all it tastes very good, very good.





Ho Weng Kee ; I don't know what it offers but I know it cannot be anything but the best... a 2nd generation family business.





Hainanese Chicken Rice since 1976; no chance to taste yet...but I will one day.






I know these are big names in the food business but just one evening is not possible for me to venture into it. I need many, many moments and times to savour them in. Every time I am around that area I promise myself that I will go there till I have tasted most of them. After all the boss says it's the best. Trust him.




Now it's more hot stuff all I believe should boast of unforgettable tastes.




I know this place has been in town for sometime. It is only I who fail to discover it earlier. I will bring my foreign and outstation friends and relatives here...




We walked out of Hutong Village into the streets to discover the happy night life. People take pains to stay happy to entertain and to be entertained.




I was entertained by this group of youths jumping and bouncing on special stands ... like on a bicycle.





Then there was this photo shooting session and I glanced at them for a long time. They work real hard too. Everyone works hard for a living. Sometimes it's not about food on the table only; but rather about bringing meaning to our existence here.





So, here in the streets of Kuala Lumpur there are so much to see, feel , love and yet strangely enough I never found the time to do it. When I retire, I will explore the city more and learn more about it.

There are so many things I have not seen in my own country. I must make a point to learn more about it.

Kuala Lumpur is truly a ruggedly beautiful city engulfed in a rich culture that is to behold by many.

No comments: