Monday, January 10, 2011

School of Future Leaders

A Teacher Recalls...





My favourite evening practice is to walk on that machine ; not really out of love but more so to keep some fats away. Then I will automatically switch on the box and watch whatever I can gobble from the idiot box. So I pick up gossips and tear-jerks from Media Corp of Singapore and wonder at the way Singaporean stars perform. Some can really act well especially the ones who always have evil plans up their sleeves and how they can actually pull me to the screen the next day to see the sequel slots. Maybe someday I will talk about these stars.

But today, I must confess that a familiar face more often than not appear in advertisements for NTV7 and at 8 in the evenings reading the Mandarin news. I have this sense of pride whenever I see her broadcast news ; because she is an ex-seafieldian. I remember...she used to be the super singer and star of our very own Bakat Seafield.

Back in the late 90s when we staged vocal competitions we gave our students opportunities to belt out their best and it was then that stardom came along their way...


... and one of them is...


Ms Tiang Kah Chee





In school she was known as the polite girl with perfect manners and spoke Mandarin half the time with Madam Sophia Lau whom I believe is still in contact with her. Though not always a high profile figure, she shone nevertheless during vocal competitions. A soprano, she can hit high pitches and it was a pleasure hearing her sing old Mandarin hits with pitches that hit the roof.
She must have enrolled in a communication degree and later got attached to NTV7. From my observation she not only reads news but appears in local NTV7 singing productions and acting too. Hmm not bad; not bad. I am glad she went far enough to be noticed by others. Also, I see the confidence established out of the vocation she is in.

I have not been in personal contact with her but I observe her from afar and I consider her a leader in her own way.


Glad she is doing fine as she happily sings her lungs out for another Chinese New Year Special Program called 'kwai ler 178" (Happy 178?)


Another star of the school of future leaders.

No comments: