Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Live It !

How to live a simple and peaceful life

NST today suggests the following steps and my response is :

1. Decide what is important.

I have decided that family is still most important and need to spend more time with family members especially with Por Por and Kong Kong. At work, I still want to accomplish whatever KPIs that have been planned as my final contributions before I leave so I am still going to breathe down the necks of those guys who refuse to study Bahasa Cina conscientiously in Ms Chung's class.

2. Examine your commitments.

I marvel at those who can have a part in so many affairs around them; I can only manage school and home at the moment. So, I am just going to do that only.

3. Do less each day.

I must admit I have lost much stamina as I aged and so I am only going to use my time for school and some for the church. I am blessed with a house help who has made it possible for me to enjoy my working life being free of encumbrances at home. My usual statement ; I am a queen at home but I am otherwise at my working place. My girls tell me I am boring; home and school only. But I tell them ; let me do my one thing as well as I can at this juncture of my life for soon I will be free of these matters. So, I do very little except that which need my attention.

4. Leave space between tasks or appointments.

I don't usually take unnecessary tasks to avoid being rushed or stressed out; so I can last longer.

5. Eliminate as much as possible from your to-do list.

Other than what is needed for the betterment of the school and family, I try not to burden myself with non-essentials and focus on what is essential ; all these to make me less breathless.

6.Slow down and enjoy every task.

My friends will tell me I am super 'kang cheong' (easily worked up) in school and trying to make things work at the fastest time; so I must remember to slow down and be cool...

7. Single-task minded.

Yes I am single-task minded. Intend to stay this way.

8.Do nothing .

I curl up in bed reading quietly after a day's work and rest, rest, rest.

9. Practice being present.

The way to go is not to daydream; observe what is around you and be attentive. I must admit I like daydreaming especially on fond memories.

10. Live in the moment.

This is the best. It says instead of delayed gratification which I have always practised in my life, I am to enjoy life right now... that is why I am going to pamper myself with all the things that I have always wanted...but even when I think I can afford some now; I have been too ingrained into delayed gratification to practise instant gratification; help me.


In spite of and despite all that has been said , I still think living a life to the fullest needs a lot of skill. But yes, it is a privilege to be simple in thoughts and needs.

Live it now.

No comments: