Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Empty Nest Syndrome

Today's NST says many lonely mothers suffer from depression and the empty nest syndrome is a form of depression that affects women more than men. There is great concern that many grown-up children are too busy to communicate with their parents, resulting in many mothers suffering from the syndrome.

Yes, many would think that I too am lonely; now that my girls are all not with me. But I have been kept too busy by the hundreds of children I have in school that I don't have the time to miss my girls as I thought I would be. Am I glad of this 'busyness' because it numbs my lonely, longing heart and tire me out each day after work.

Dad is the best. He is a man and men are known to suffer less from matters of the heart with their 'what's there to miss' attitude. He added more fun by sending me a parcel on my birthday...





"Wa, dad how generous of you! What did you get me???"




Opening the parcel with great eagerness, this was what I got... "O dad, how boring can you be? You mean you really got that tingee from watching the advertisement in the idiot box?"

To my surprise, though I first thought it was foolish of him, it turned out to be quite a good buy...




See, every evening after dinner and before resting for the night, we will place the set of table in front of the box, enjoy junk food, fruits, drinks; cold and hot and messing up with the computer...



This evening we had yummy ice cream, fresh papayas and more peanuts, muruku...and thanks to the table mate!

So, I numb and kill my lonely heart by enjoying little things in life and waiting patiently for the month of May to go away in anticipation of June and the break!
But in all honesty, every night before I go to bed, I will image my girls' needs and their present states ;
Is Grace having a night shift?
Is Esther fine? How is she coping with her work? Is she alright?
Is Sara going through a lot of exam stress?

Then I will go before the Lord in prayers for them ; that they will be kept in His favour, protection and care; that they will be happy.

So much for the empty nest syndrome; you will not know it until you go through it.

No comments: