Monday, May 23, 2011

Kira Kira

This is dedicated to the students of 3 Hormat.

Grab this book and enjoy the easy reading.


Why do I like this book?





When the library teacher passed me the book on the recommendation of Puan See; I was delighted as the prints were huge ! Oh less wordy and my old yes will be spared of the agony of tearing when faced with the challenge of scouring through small prints.


First impressions are important in life; so I told myself I must complete the reading in the fastest possible time. I did but I could have done it in a shorter period. I did not skim and scan because I wanted to digest the vivid details of the author's account. Many times I paused in reflection of my personal experiences related to the descriptions.


One example was when the author recalled her affection for "Bera Bera", her stuffed animal toy which she hugged to bed each night. I remember Sara having a special pillow which she could not let go till she was 10? or even older. So attachments to such articles are for real. We must not scorn at that; I will remember again when I become a grandma.


Next, I tried an old tale's trick suggested by Kate , the author's sister, Lynn. On page 10-11 of Kira Kira there is an excerpt whereby the girls' mother chided them for whispering and gossipping and to avoid the scrutiny, one has only to..."I should try to think nonsense words in my head...elephant, cow, moo, koo, doo..." and you will be surprised that the interrogator will not decipher your thoughts ! Try it. It works !


Above all, the story line is absorbing for it tells of the special tie that Kate had for her sister Lynn; so pretty and smart. Kate looks up to the sister for advice, help and decisions. She recalls the time when Lynn would do anything to save little sister from peril and how Kate in turn did the same to Lynn. Then I wonder at my own daughters. Do they love one another like Kate and Lynn ?


The story further tells of how the humble Japanese family struggled in an alien land in America from loneliness and poverty. The situation is made worse when Lynn was struck with an incurable sickness; how the father and mother slogged day and night to make ends meet; later to lose the child. So heartbreaking and close to mothers' hearts.


Kate stole a bottle of nail polish to paint Lynn's finger nails ; to make her dying sister happy. She was discovered and condemned for the act but would you do that for your sister? On another scene, the father blasted a rich landowner's car for setting animal traps on his field which sometimes hurt innocent people; including his youngest son, Sammy. He did it out of 'justice' to the many who were hurt. He was not discovered but he admitted in front of the rich owner at the expense of his losing his job! He did just that and was fired. He taught integrity to Kate.


Lynn left behind a legacy to younger sister Kate when ... " Lynn told me that when I was a baby, she used to take me unto our empty road at night , where we would lie on our backs and look at the stars while she said over and over , 'Katie, say kira-kira, kira-kira.'...I used that word to describe everything I liked: the beautiful blue sky, puppies , kittens , butterflies..."

Even when it was painful to lose Lynn, Kate tries to remember the ' Kira Kira' of life. That's the response which makes life go on.


Simple yet sustaining, the book reflected of true family love, values, sacrifices, integrity, warmth and lessons to life.


Read boys and girls.

No comments: