Tuesday, May 3, 2011

What Do You Want?

In a dream, God told King Solomon : "Ask for whatever you want me to give you." 1Kings 3:5


How would you answer? What do you want?

In great humility, Solomon said... But I am only a little child and do not know how to carry out my duties; ... So give your servant a discerning heart to govern your people and to distinguish between right and wrong...I Kings 3 : 7-9


I like this. Admitting his inadequacies and limitations, Solomon asked for wisdom ; not wealth or fame.

Would you?

...My lord, this woman and I live in the same house. I had a baby while she was there with me. The third day after my child was born, this woman also had a baby. We were alone; there was no one in the house but the two of us.
During the night this woman's son died because she lay on him. So she got up in the middle of the night and took my son from my side while I your servant was asleep. She put him by her breast and put her dead son by my breast.The next morning, I got up to nurse my son - and he was dead ! But when I looked at him closely in the morning light, I saw that it wasn't the son I borne." 1 Kings 3: 16 -21


So both women squabbled and argued insisting the baby who was alive belonged to them.

So whose baby died?


In school, we do face many discipline problems liken to the above. Who stole the money? Who cheated? Who took the first step to squabble? The list is endless.

So Solomon said , "Bring me a sword."... "Cut the living child in two and give half to one and half to the other."
The woman whose son was alive was filled with compassion for her son and said to the king, "Please my Lord, give her the living baby! Don't kill him!"
But the other said, "Neither I nor you shall have him. Cut him into two !"
Then the king gave his ruling : "Give the living baby to the first woman. Do not kill him; she is his mother."


So King Solomon inherited this special portion of discernment and wisdom that spread his fame far and wide.


I also want wisdom like this.

God grant me wisdom, I pray.

No comments: