Sunday, May 22, 2011

Gestures of Love

Stories for my children.

They must remember the love of their grandmother.

Yes, it's the weekend again. Please girls, don't ask why I am back in Muar again. Please don't lament at the slowness of the town and its colourless disposition. Muar holds a big portion of mama's heart because Kong and Por are there. So you would think we are doing our 'daughterly' and 'sonly' duties by visiting them ; that we are there to be assured of their well-being and health.

But you are highly mistaken.

As she opened her eyes at the break of dawn, her first desire was to get to the wet market on time for that catch. She never fails to lament that the supply of fish in Subang Jaya is inedible and nothing beats her Parit Jawa catch. At 7.45 aged 86, and trying to trudge like she is in her 50s, I felt guilt and shame as I see her mingle among the crowd to get her portion. Alas, she was told that she came a little too late. The next batch will arrive at 8.30am. She was relieved; at least she could get her hands on the next batch. So, she took a turn and went for breakfast with us first.

At 8.20am, she arrived at the spot to be told that it was not time yet. So she waited. I looked at her intense determination to make sure I had the fish. I asked myself if my love for my children is anywhere near hers. She spoke her sing-song teochew with the market vendors who seem to know her pretty well. They spoke about the freshness and the untainted fish so famous from Parit Jawa ; a seaside village some 8km away. My mother will never concede to anything less than the supply from that place.

8.30am arrived and with glee she saw the fish monger pouring out the fresh supply. With a snap of the finger, in no more than 10 minutes, the fishes were gone. But Por got hers ! She was happy that she could get the supply ! She doesn't think about how much they would cost her...





She smiled and beamed as she had the opportunity to grab the 'unadulterated' fishes. That is the reason why it so difficult to feed her when she is with me in Subang Jaya... nothing is fresh enough !

Very soon she went to the next stall to get a chicken to cook her comfort food; chicken in rice wine. No chicken can beat her 'red' chicken; it's not the type you get at the Subang Jaya wet market. It's a breed that has less fat and is fed on proper 'grains'. Do you buy this type of chicken?, she asked me. I blatantly replied; "Mak, I don't even know the existence of this species". She ranted the whole morning saying I must stop feeding on bad species and change my preference. I will try, mum.

Uncle Choy and I had to leave and she said after lunch please. We were treated to another session of good food and homecooking. It set me thinking about this. Who is looking after who? We are back for treats ! Por is super generous and gracious. She feeds her children even at 86 ; notwithstanding her frail bones and clumsy movements at times. That is her fierce love for her children; everyone is hers. While clearing the plates, she says she loves to hear from her children and grandchildren especially when Grace comes back from Singapore. Will Grace call her when she comes back next? she asked. Will you Grace? Without reminders?





Her portion of rice for four was big. Mum, why do you have to cook so much rice? I have my reasons, she spoke.



She told me that I need not prepare dinner at home since you girls are away and there were only dad and me. So she packed 2 portions; one for uncle Choy and another for me. Por is precise; tries very hard not to show partiality and gives equally. She has taught me another lesson; to love all children with the same portion. So, girls you know how generous I can be too; don't you? Only for meaningful ventures ,though... to teach you the value of money.


Close to the market place, is a store that supplies the famous 434 coffee of Muar. Any coffee for you dear? I told her I have too much at home but she insisted and finally when I denied them, she said; give your friends in school.






When I first brought some for the office girls in school, they told me that it tasted wonderful; so their supply is coming in again.


So girls, next time when you do have families of your own and you visit me, I will try to be kind and generous like Por. She has taught me great lessons of love and care and I will learn her ways.


So surely Por is like what Proverbs says:


She watches over the affairs of her household


and does not eat the bread of idleness.


Her children arise and call her blessed;


her husband also, and he praises her...


Proverbs 31: 27-28


Thank you Por for the fishes, chicken in rice wine, bread, coffee, bottles of rice wine and fruits. Each time when we see you, you never fail to show us your unconditional love.


Love you Por Por.

No comments: